A quick and easy bread full of sun dried tomatoes, chunks of fresh mozzarella and fresh basil! A no yeast quick bread that you can throw together at a moments notice.
I have had my eye on this recipe for awhile and after whipping up a batch of San Marzano Soup I thought this would be the perfect fit. And it did not disappoint! It is, without question, the easiest, tastiest bread I’ve run across. I’ll be making this time and time again.
This recipe makes one standard loaf but I opted for 3 mini-loaves so I could share with a few pals at work. (and besides, I think the little paper loaf trays are so cute!).
NOTES: 1.) I don’t usually take the time to mix dry and wet ingredients separately (I usually make a well in the dry ingredients and mix up all the wet stuff in the center…cheater, cheater, but it works! ), but for this recipe, with the chunky cheese and tomatoes, I would recommend mixing separately 2.) Try to eat this in a day or two. Quick bread usually goes sideways pretty quick. If that happens to you – make croutons out of it!
This recipe was adopted from Will Cook for Smiles – A lovely blog I hope you will visit soon!
A quick no yeast bread with chunks of sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella .
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz cubed fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup of chopped sun-dried-tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk or take 2 tablespoons vinegar and add to 2 cup measuring container. Fill milk to 1 1/4 cup. Let sit for a few minutes until think...instant buttermilk!
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Add the basil, mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes to the four and mix until all incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- Pour the liquids into the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well combined. (The dough will be sticky.)
- Transfer the dough into the bread pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)