20 MINUTE LEMON RICOTTA PASTA! Pasta, lemon, ricotta, garlic and parmesan all mixed together with a little magic starchy pasta water for a delicious and easy dinner any night of the week!
Delicious light and easy to prepare pasta! When you have a craving for pasta but not the energy for a full night of prep, this will be your go to easy pasta recipe!
A quick one pot restaurant quality meal that can take on just about any add-in you have hanging around!
What can I throw into this one pot pasta dish?
- shrimp or salmon
- ham – get fancy with prosciutto or pancetta
- Veggies like spinach, broccoli, asparagus
PRO TIP: cook up your protein ahead of time and toss in right before serving or plate it up on top. For the veggies: toss into the boiling pot of pasta water a few minutes before draining until crisp tender.
STEP ONE: Combine your ricotta, lemon, cheese, garlic and a splash of olive oil while your pasta is boiling.
Feeling kitchen ambitious? Make your own HOMEMADE RICOTTA. You won’t believe how incredibly easy it is. If you can boil water, you can make homemade ricotta!
STEP TWO: Boil your pasta but before draining REMOVE THAT VERY IMPORTANT CUP OF STARCHY PASTA WATER.
This is what is going to make your pasta and ricotta become one!
I am even adding a pic so you won’t forget :). Trust me…I forget. I need a visual.
STEP THREE: Add your ricotta cheese mixture to the hot drained pasta and pour 1/2 cup of the starchy pasta water into the pasta. Stir, stir stir! Add a bit more pasta water at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
You do not need to use all the water…some like it more creamier than others.
It’s your pasta…do what you want :).
Salt…this dish requires a bit of it. We start with one teaspoon and taste. Add a another big pinch at a time.
Serve it up, top with more cheese!
You are amazing! Look what you made!
Finish the dish! What we serve alongside this Lemon Ricotta Pasta:
Cheesey Bread made from store-bought loaf
And for dessert we serve this 5 Minute Chocolate Pudding!
A perfect weeknight or company pasta dinner done in 20 minutes!
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- 12 ounces pasta like fettucine or linquine
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice 1 to 2 lemons - plus extra for garnish if desired
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt to start, more after tasting
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Before draining pasta REMOVE ONE CUP OF THE STARCHY PASTA WATER.
- Combine ricotta, parmesan, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic,olive oil and salt in a small bowl.
- Add pasta and cheese mixture back to pasta pot. Add 1/2 cup starchy pasta water and stir vigorously until the pasta is well coated. Add more water if needed a couple tablespoons at a time until reaches desired creaminess.
- Taste. Add more salt if needed. Top with additional parmesan.
- Serve immediatly.
- You may not use the entire one cup of starchy pasta water. Start with 1/2 cup and add a bit more until you reach the desired creaminess.
- Your pasta is as good as your ricotta. Go whole milk and buy the good stuff.
- We used fettuccini pasta but you can go with any shape including shells, bow tie, even spaghetti noodles. Whatever you have in your pantry will work!
- This particular dish is best eaten right away...but if you have left overs you can reheat in the microwave. You may need to add a bit of cream or butter to make bring it back together.