These delicious and easy to make Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage are stuffed with potato, sausage and cheese then baked in an egg and cream mixture. A super easy to make breakfast or brunch for your crowd!
Be still my enchilada loving heart! I think I have found the perfect meal and so easy!
With just a few ingredients you can whip up this incredibly delicious breakfast casserole fit for a crowd!
How to make Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage –
Start with your favorite sausage. We love chicken breakfast sausage for this recipe but a mild Italian pork sausage is great as well. If using pork, drain excess grease if necessary. Nobody likes a greasy enchilada first thing in the morning…or do they?
Saute your sausage, potato and pepper. We used our beloved Poblano pepper. A tick spicier than a bell but still family friendly.
Next, stuff your tortillas with your sausage mixture. Roll them up and into the pan.
What else can we stuff into these Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage?
- diced sweet potatoes
- sub ground beef or chicken for sausage
- kale – oops, just kidding
- diced ham and cheese – not kidding, yum, trying this next time!
- whatever meat or veggie ya got in your fridge can go into these enchies!
You have rolled up all of your delicious tortillas stuffed with sausage and potato and nestled them into your baking dish. Sounds so cozy….
This is where I love this recipe! Rather than filling scrambled eggs into the tortilla we are gonna pour the eggs right over the top!
Can I make this Breakfast Enchilada dish ahead of time?
- You bet! However, rather than soak the tortillas in the egg overnight (because they get kinda mushy). We stuff and roll the tortillas, cover and put in the fridge, and simply mix the eggs up in the morning. Takes all of 90 seconds. You could even combine the eggs and cream in a separate dish the night before if breaking all those eggs is just to daunting in the A.M.
Cover, bake and serve these up with all your favorite enchilada fixings! Sour cream, avocado, and salsa!
Can I substitute corn tortillas for flour tortillas?
- You can but we don’t recommend it. They can get a little mushy while cooking in all that egg. If you don’t mind a less formed enchilada than go for it!
Check out our other breakfast casserole recipes!
To Easy Breakfasts that feed them all!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
Easy Breakfast Casserole made with sausage and potato with eggs poured over top!
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage chicken, turkey or pork
- 1 cup diced potato any variety will work
- 1 small diced poblano chili substitute bell peppers if desired
- 8 8 inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce if desired
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non stick spray.
In large skillet, brown sausage, diced potato and poblano pepper until sausage is fully cooked and potato is tender.
Add one cup of the shredded cheese and combine.
Place 1/8th of the sausage mixture, approximatley 1/3 of a cup inside each tortilla and roll up. Place in baking dish seam side down.
Combine eggs, half and half, salt, pepper and hot sauce in large bowl. Pour over stuffed tortillas.
Top with remaining one cup of cheese and cover with foil.
Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil. Continue to bake an additonal 10 minutes or until eggs have full cooked. (check by inserting a fork into the middle of the dish between two tortillas. If no liquid remains than enchiladas are done.)
Serve with avocado, sour cream, salsa and all your favorite enchilada fixings.
If using pork sausage remove any accumulated grease from the pan.
To make ahead, stuff and roll the enchiladas and store in fridge. Pour egg mixture over just before baking to keep tortillas from getting mushy.