20 Minute One Pan Shrimp and Orzo Dinner! – Tired of chicken and looking for a quick and healthy dinner? Got ya covered friend!
Well hello fast and fresh dinner! This beautiful one pan meal is ready in…wait for it… 20 MINUTES! Ready, set, go and dinner is done!
This is one of those recipes that I wish I had more of. Fast and Fresh…oh wait, I do have more! You can find them on my Fast and Fresh Recipe Category! (see how I worked that in. Brilliant writing skills :).
Besides being easy and quick, this recipe is also healthy. Shrimp is very low calorie and orzo is like baby pasta, so it must have only half the calories of regular pasta right? mmmmmm…
Switch out the peas for broccoli or asparagus if you prefer. Just toss the veggies in, uncooked, in place of the peas and let them cook along with the shrimp.
How to make 20 Minute Shrimp and Orzo Skillet Dinner!
First, toast your orzo, onion and garlic in a little olive oil and butter. Just a smidge. Enough to toast the orzo and add some flavor, but not enough to make you feel guilty. (aka: have to skip dessert).
Next, add broth, toss in your veggies and shrimp. Mixy mixy and 5 minutes later it’s show time!
I bought ‘tail-on’ shrimp because I think it looks pretty…but rumor has it it can be annoying to pluck the tails off while eating. I like to think of it as a ‘dinner activity’. You can buy ‘no tail’ shrimp as well. These are medium size 21-25 per pound.
NOTES To Make Shrimp and Orzo Skillet:
- Use raw shrimp. Medium. 21-25 count. (Costco). Tail or no tail…depends on if you don’t mind removing them while dining. I kinda like it. Food weirdo.
- Substitute broccoli or asparagus for the frozen peas or use both and veggie it way up!
- Substitute feta for the parmesan.
- Great for lunch the next day, cold or warm, and stays fresh in the fridge for a couple days.
Have a wonderful food filled day!
Check out this Greek Baked Shrimp with Feta too! Only a few ingredients and done in a flash! Serve over cauli-rice for a super low cal and healthy dinner!
And the most popular Fast and Fresh recipe on this here blog. Easy Roasted Lemon Chicken with Potatoes.
20 Minute One Pan Shrimp and Orzo Dinner
A fast and flavorful dinner that will get you out of the chicken rut!
- 1 pound medium shrimp . Thawed if frozen. 30-35 count
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves large garlic chopped
- 1 cup Orzo pasta - uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth . or just water in a pinch
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 slice fresh lemon - juice half other half for garnish
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add butter and olive oil. Heat until butter is melted.
- Add onion, garlic and orzo.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until onion is translucent and orzo is slightly toasted.
- Add chicken broth and stir.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until orzo is soft and just a small amount of liquid remains in the pan.
- Toss in the shrimp, lemon juice and peas. Stir.
- Cook for an additional 5-6 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through and peas are warm.
- Garnish with lemon slices and grated parmesan.