This easy to make Bananas Foster Upside Down Cake has fresh bananas, a rum laced brown sugar topping, crunchy pecans and a tender cake underneath. Less than 10 minutes to assemble and in the oven it goes!
I first laid eyes on this cake in a magazine at an airport. Of course I was too cheap to buy the magazine…does anybody buy magazines anymore? Nevertheless I have been dreaming of this cake for months and finally decided to dive in after a particularly bad sweet tooth episode and not a piece of cake in sight!
I used a basic upside down cake method but laced the brown sugar and butter with a few tablespoons of dark rum and added a bit more to the cake. The cake is a simple batter made with ingredients you most likely have on hand. Keeping it simple!
HOW WE MADE THISE BANANA FOSTER UPSIDE DOWN CAKE:
Melt the butter in the microwave, add the rum and pour into an 8 x 8 baking pan. Square or round, whatever shape you are feeling today. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. I don’t know if pecans are part of ‘real banana foster’ but they sure taste good in this version!
Sprinkle on the brown sugar and give it a little mix around to combine. Spread evenly on the bottom of the pan.
Slice your bananas horizontally…thats the long way for those of us who get the two confused. It doesn’t have to be perfect…hence my broken banana in the picture. So just take your time and do the best you can. It all ends up cooked together on top and nobody will notice while they are inhaling this cake! Imperfection never tasted so good!
Place your sliced bananas on top of the butter, rum and brown sugar mixture and pour on the cake batter!
TIP: Use just ripened (not over ripe) bananas. Since these are going to bake up and soften a firmer nanner works best.
The batter is a simple mixture of eggs, flour, sugar, greek yogurt and a few more tablespoons of rum. I love how the yogurt makes the cake so moist…perfect for Upside Down Banana Foster Cake!
Bake for about 40 minutes until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
COOL FOR 10 MINUTES BEFORE INVERTING ONTO A PLATTER.
Make sure your platter is bigger than your cake…you would think this would be obvious but I’ve been down this road before and it was a messy one.
Serve this up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Splurge and get the real stuff, not light, if you can. I’d take a little scoop of real ice cream over two scoops of the light stuff!
Store this in the refrigerator and heat up in the microwave for about 15 seconds if you are lucky enough to have any leftovers.
We have almost 30 EASY TO MAKE CAKE RECIPES! And you can see them all HERE!
Oh cake….you own me!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
Banana Foster Upside Down Cake
Rum Butter Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans toasted or raw
- 2 bananas, slightly ripe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt fat free is fine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in small microwave safe bowl. Add rum.
- Pour butter rum mixture into 8 x 8 pan and sprinkle with brown sugar and pecans. Combine in the bottom of the pan and spread out evenly.
- Carefully cut your bananas horizontally. ( It's okay if a few break...no one will notice! ) Lay the bananas on top of the butter and sugar mixture.
- In large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon .
- In medium mixing bowl whisk together egg, milk, yogurt, oil and rum until well mixed.
- Add wet ingredient to dry ingredients. Mix until batter is smooth and free of any visible lumps.
- Pour over banana's. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until brown on top and cake springs back in center when touched.
- LET COOL FOR 10 MINUTES BEFORE INVERTING ONTO PLATE. Serve with vanilla ice cream. Store in refrigerator for up to three days.
Cut bananas horizontally, don't worry if a few break...it will still look great!
Wait 10 minutes before inverting onto platter. Be sure the platter is big enough for the cake :).