We love trying new cocktails, and what better way to do it than with fresh lemons and an easy homemade honey syrup? This cocktail is easy and impressive, nonetheless a pretty one. Learn how we make it!
Ingredients needed for Bees Knees Cocktail
- Honey Syrup: This is a homemade blend of water & honey. You can’t just add honey to a cocktail as it clumps in cold liquids, so we make a honey syrup to add honey flavor and sweeten it up.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh squeezed is best.
- Gin: If you aren’t a fan of gin, you can use vodka, but gin is traditional for this cocktail.
- Lemon slice for garnish (or if you want to really be fancy, a little honey swizzle stick inside the glass, or a honey dipped rim would be extra cute!)
Honey Syrup Recipe
You can make as much, or as little honey syrup if you like. You can also make it in the microwave! Combine equal parts honey and water, and microwave or cook on the stove top, stirring until the honey is dissolved. Store the extra in a glass bottle or mason jar, and once cool, refrigerate. You can keep the honey syrup in the refrigerator for about a week (likely more, but we’ll say a week to be on the safe side).
If you want to make a virgin, nonalcoholic Bees Knees, combine honey syrup, fresh lemon juice, and pour over ice. Taste it as you go…The sweet honey syrup really compliments the tart lemon!
You can make a bees knees in a cocktail shaker, or…just pour it over ice.
The choice is yours. I like the crisp taste of a strained cocktail freshly shaken in a cocktail shaker, but if you prefer you could layer this in a tumbler over ice. Either way, garnish with a lemon slice. A sprig of thyme would also pair well!
If you want other cocktail, or cocktail inspired recipes, here’s a few more that we love:
Bees Knees Cocktail
- 1 oz honey syrup (see instructions for how to make)
- 2 oz lemon juice
- 3-4 oz gin (depending on how strong you prefer your cocktail)
- lemon wedge for garnish
- Combine equal parts honey, and equal parts water (I.E. 1/2 cup of each). Microwave Instructions: Microwave honey/water mixture for 30 seconds on medium-high heat and stir until water and honey are combined. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring as needed, until honey and water are combined.Stovetop: Add honey/water mixture to a saucepan on medium/high heat. Stir until warm, but not bubbling (being cautious not to burn the honey). Remove syrup from microwave or stove, and allow to cool.
- Combine lemon juice, gin, and honey syrup with ice in a shaker. Shake until cold, and strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge, and serve in desired glass.
Leave a Reply