Everybody loves a good slice of cornbread, and this cast iron cornbread is the best version I’ve ever had! The cast iron pan is preheated to give a delicious crust, while the batter inside bakes up to a fluffy and light finish. Top it with butter and honey for a delicious snack or side dish!
Here at our house there is nothing cozier than a Sunday afternoon, a warm pot of soup, and a serving of something baked on the side- This particular Sunday, we opted for cornbread to go with our white chicken chili. My favorite part of this cornbread was how fast it bakes up, and also how easy it is to make! Anybody can master this one….I promise.
The first step to making cast iron cornbread is to preheat your oven, and also your pan.
Then, you’ll add about a tablespoon of butter to the cast-iron pan, and use a basting brush to make sure every inch is covered.
Next step, make our batter!
Cornbread Batter Ingredients:
- Baking Powder
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Whole Milk
- Protip: If you don’t have buttermilk, mix 1 cup milk with 1 tbsp vinegar for a DIY version.
- Melted Butter
- 1 stick of butter total. 7 tbsp for the cornbread, 1 tbsp for the cast iron pan.
- Sugar in the Raw: This is optional, but I love a few teaspoons sprinkled on top for a crunchier topping. If you don’t have raw sugar on hand, you can use granulated white sugar.
Add the ingredients to the bowl, and before whisking, take your preheated pan out of the oven, and add the 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Give the cornbread batter a good whisk, and pour it into the cast iron pan.
Optional Step: Add sugar for crunchy topping!
I love adding a little bit of raw sugar on top- it gives the top of the cornbread a crunchy texture and adds a touch of sweetness. You can use granulated sugar too if thats’ what you have on hand. Add about 2-3 teaspoons on top of the batter before you pop it in the oven.
After about 30 minutes, you have perfectly fluffy, delicious cornbread! Serve it in slices, use it as a topper for soup, or as a side dish at a bbq. Yum!
Our favorite dishes to serve cornbread with include:
Cheers to easy and delicious recipes…we love em! – Rachel and Kathi
Cast Iron Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cup coarsley ground yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup buttermilk (Use 1 cup milk + 1 tbsp white vinegar to subsitute if needed)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 tbsp butter (1 tbsp for cast iron pan, remaining 7 tbsp for batter)
- 2 tsp raw sugar or granulated sugar optional
- Preheat oen to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Place a 9 inch cast iron pan in oven while it preheats.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder & baking soda. Whisk to combine, then add in milk, buttermilk, eggs, and 7 tbsp melted butter, reserving 1 tbsp for next step. Whisk batter to combine,
- Remove cast iron pan from oven. Add 1 tbsp butter, using a basting brush to coat entirety of pan. Add batter to pan. Top with sugar if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into middle of pan comes out clean.
- Serve with honey and butter and enjoy!