Who doesn’t remember Old Fashioned Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting! – Fresh easy ingredients baked up into a delicious and tender cake! Flour, eggs, sugar…just the basics. This cake is as easy as a box mix but tastes like Grandma made it!
Nothing says I love you like cake! Scratch cake that is with fluffy chocolate frosting!
Make cake…be loved!
I tweaked this cake a bit for a softer cake rather than the dense version most yellow cake recipes will give you. Turns out that subbing 1/4 cup of oil for 1/4 cup of butter will give you a fluffy light cake! Oh the experimenting and internet digging I had to do! I do it all for you guys! :).
This recipe makes one 9 x 13, two 8 or 9 inch rounds or 24 cupcakes. With plenty of frosting to go around!
Combine your butter, sugar, baking powder and salt. Now hold on, you got dry ingredients in your wet ingredients! I KNOW! Crazy right? But it works!
Beat the batter for 1-2 minutes on medium high until it has just turned light in color. Don’t over beat or you will get a tougher more dense cake.
PRO TIP: Make your frosting while the cake is baking so you can clean up, sit back and relax. Keep the frosting in a bowl on the counter until the cake cools. Don’t clean that kitchen twice!
After baking let the cake cool entirely.
This is the hard part…waiting!
If there was ever a time the world needs cake…it’s now! Make cake! Save the world! This easy to make delicious homemade cake will make all you share with smile.
More cake please!
To cake and making the world a better place with it!
Â What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, andÂ connect with us on Instagram andÂ Â tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!Â
Old Fashioned Yellow Cake with Easy Chocolate Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter softened at room temp
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all purpose white flour
- 1 cup milk at room temperature
Chocolate Frosting Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your baking dish(s) with non stick spray.
- Beat together the butter,oil, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla. Scrape down the bowl. Beat for about 2-3 minutes or until slightly pale in color.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl at least twice. Beat until thick.
- Stir in the flour until just combined then add the milk. Beat for another 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy being careful not to over beat as this can make a tough cake.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes for a 9 x 13, 25 minutes for two 8 or 9 inch pans and 15 minutes for cupcakes or until top of cake is light brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
For the Easy Chocolate Frosting
- With an electric mixer, combine butter, milk and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa. Mix slowly for one minute, scrape down sides and beat for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Spread onto cooled cake and serve!
Inspired from King Arthur Flour