Our Easy Cheesy Chicken and Mushrooms – chicken breasts seared then smothered in a super fast mushroom pan sauce. Topped with cheese and on the table in 25 minutes. BONUS: All done in ONE PAN!
You can never have enough easy chicken recipes ! This one is a fave around here. Seared tender chicken all smothered in a 5 minute mushroom gravy then topped with mozzarella cheese! All in one pan…yay!
What ingredients do I need to make this easy chicken breast recipe?
- boneless chicken breasts – cutlets or whole boneless halves
- chicken stock
- canola or light olive oil
- grated mozzarella
Start by giving your chicken a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. This helps form a crust. Then a quick sear in a hot pan that’s been coated with a bit of oil. Couple minutes on each side will do it as the chicken will continue to cook in the mushroom sauce.
PRO TIP: We like to use chicken cutlets in this recipe for a fast dinner but whole boneless chicken breasts will work just as well. You will just need to increase the cook time by about 5-7 minutes. Chicken is done perfectly when your meat thermometer reads 165 degrees
Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Slice up your mushrooms and onion. Add a bit of butter to a hot pan and in they go.
Mushrooms 101: Once you add the mushooms to your hot pan, give a toss, then leave them alone for at least 3 minutes before stirring again. You can develop a nice browning that way and save the salt until you have reached the desired doneness as it can impede the browning process by drawing out moisture.
Now you have your beautiful browned mushrooms. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
Combine the stock and flour with a whisk. Pour into the skillet and let it thicken while you stir. About 2 minutes should do it!
Time to taste! More salt? More pepper?
Add your seared chicken to the pan and simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Top with cheese, cover for a few minutes and dinner done!
What can I serve along side Cheesey Chicken and Mushrooms?
- Easy no mess Oven Baked Rice
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Whipped Potatoes
- Honey Glazed Carrots
- Simple green salad
- Steamed fresh veggies like broccoli or green beans
We are all about easy chicken dinners! Here are a few of your favorites!
- Pico De Gallo Chicken – an easy and healthy dump it all in the pan recipe!
- Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu – an easy version of a family favorite.
- One Skillet Chicken, Mushroom and Orzo – everything in one pan incuding the pasta!
- Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce – another one pan wonder!
- Chicken in White Wine Sauce – a little in the pan and a little for the cook!
To Easy Chicken Dinners!
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Cheesy Chicken and Mushrooms – One Pan!
- 4 chicken breast cutlets or full boneless chicken breasts simply increase the cooking time by 5-7 minutes until internal temp reaches 165
- 2 tablespoons oil canola or light olive oil work best
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced. we used cremini.
- 1/2 cup yellow onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons all purpose white flour
- 1 cup chicken stock preferably low sodium
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- Heat large pan to medium high. Add oil. Generously sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and place in hot pan. Do not touch for 3-4 minutes and let a nice crust form. Flip and repeat on other side.
- Remove chicken to a plate and set aside. Your chicken may not be cooked all the way through but will finish in the mushroom sauce.
- Add one tablespoon butter to pan and toss in mushrooms and onions. Give a good stir and let cook without distrurbing for 2-3 minutes. Stir and continue to cook until brown and cooked through. Add garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Combine stock and flour. Pour into hot pan. Stir until thickened. TASTE! Salt? Pepper? Add chicken back to pan. Continue to cook for 5 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees internally.
- Top with mozzarella, cover and allow cheese to melt. Serve!