I finally bit the bullet and bought an air fryer! I have to say- it is a pretty cool gadget and definitely lives up to the hype. These Air Fryer Potato Wedges were one of the first things I made and oh boy they are delicious! Tender on the inside, crispy on the outside and only a smidge of oil is involved.
So what is an air fryer? Do I need it for these potato wedges?
An air fryer is a small convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without having to submerge the food in oil. A fan runs hot air at a high speed, producing a crisp layer and a browning reaction. You can buy Air Fryers on Amazon for relatively inexpensive ($30-$120). For this recipe, you can bake these fries in a traditional oven, however an air fryer will give them the crispy brown edges that make these so perfect so I really recommend using one!
To start making our crispy potato wedges, soak them in ice water in a medium sized bowl for 30 minutes. This helps remove some of the starch, and allows them to get extra crispy in the air fryer. Next, lay them out on a paper towel and pat them dry on each side.
Place the potato slices in a bowl with olive oil and seasoning. You can use a variety of seasoning, but I like the standard mixture of paprika, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. It is reminiscent of Red Robin french fry seasoning, if you will! Toss them around until fully coated and place them in the air fryer at 400 for 10 minutes, rotating sides until nice, and brown and crispy.
In about 20 minutes, you got yourself some delicious crispy potato wedge French fries made quickly in the air fryer!
If you need some healthy ideas of main course meals to serve them with, we recommend:
If you are a fellow potato lover, check out these other recipes featuring our favorite starchy vegetable!
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- 30 Minute Whipped Potatoes
- Fondant Potatoes
- Roasted Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
- Cheese Potatoes Au Gratin
Enjoy! – Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- 2 medium russet potatoes sliced into wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- Slice potatoes into wedges; place in bowl filled with ice water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees farenheit. Pour water out and dry bowl. Dry potato wedges well; pat dry with paper towel on both sides.
- Place potato wedges backin bowl with olive oil and spices. Toss well to coat all wedges.
- Place potato wedges in air fryer basket (do not overcrowd as they will not brown). Cook for 10 minutes on each side, repeat until desired level of golden brown.
- Toss with additional salt if desired, serve and enjoy.