Clear broth, tender noodles, chicken, mushrooms and a plethora of veggies make up this steamy and comforting bowl of Chicken Pho! We used a slow cooker but stove top would work just as well!
Since I still had my slow cooker out from last week’s Apple Crisp, I thought…what the Pho? Come on guys, did you think I wouldn’t get a Pho joke in? I mean Pho-get about it! Isn’t that a beautiful Pho-to? Stop me!
What we love about this recipe is there is no pre-searing of the chicken or veggies. Everything into the pot as is. Stove top or slow cooker works for this recipe. If using stove top, let it simmer at least 2 hours to extract all those flavors from the chicken and spices.
How to make delicious and easy Chicken Pho!
Prep your shiitake mushrooms first. (you can sub crimini mushrooms in place of shiitake if you prefer). Remove the stems from the caps. Slice the caps and set aside for later. The stems are going in the stock to help deepen the flavor. The sliced shiitake will go in with the noodles.
Add your chicken thighs, onions, and other spices to your slow cooker or soup pot.
TIP: I keep my fresh ginger in the freezer...because ya never know when you are going to need it. I had all the ingredients for this recipe, but the ginger. So glad I had tossed some in the freezer a month or so ago. Place in the microwave for 10 seconds to thaw and it comes out great! It’s a Pho-namenal tip! ugh.
Now pour in your stock and start simmering. When done, remove the chicken and shred before straining the broth.
Pho is all about the broth. It should be super clear and have tons of flavor. We used chicken and beef broth which made a rich deep flavor and went well with the mushrooms.
To get that clear restaurant looking broth strain it through a doubled up piece of cheese cloth.
After you have strained your broth it’s noodle time! We used linguine rice noodles. You can certainly sub any long noodle you have around. But we really liked how tender and authentic it made the soup taste.
Serve with sliced peppers, green onion, jalapeño, cilantro and lime. You can use whatever veggie you have hanging around. Nothing is really off limits. I have even used broccoli and kale. It all tastes good in that delicious crystal clear broth!
We have nearly 50 Soup Recipes for you! Almost all of them are less than 30 minutes and you can see them HERE!
Pho the love of soup! …just had to get one more in 🙂
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
Slow Cooker Chicken Pho
- 2 pounds bone in skinless chicken thighs about 6-8 chicken thighs
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed, caps sliced and set aside
- 1 onion sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 3" piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 6 black pepper corns
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 32 ounce carton of chicken stock prefer low sodium
- 1 32 ounce carton beef stock prefer low sodium
- 1 cup water
- 5 ounces linguine shaped rice noodles
- Garnishes such as lime wedges, sliced peppers, cilantro and green onion
- Remove stems from shiitake mushrooms and toss into slow cooker or soup pot if cooking stove top. Slice the remaining mushroom caps and store in refrigerator until later.
- Add skinless bone in thighs to the pot, along with next 8 remaining ingredients EXCEPT THE NOODLES and sliced mushroom caps.
- Slow cooker : cook on low 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.Stove top: simmer for 2 hours making sure the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. The longer you simmer the better your broth!
- Remove chicken and set aside. Strain remaining broth mixture through a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth into a large soup pot or dutch oven. Place on stove and bring to a simmer.
- Add noodles and mushrooms. Cook until noodles are tender about 4-6 minutes.
- While noodles are cooking, remove chicken from bone and shred. Stir chicken into hot broth with noodles and mushrooms.
- Serve in large bowls topped with a variety of condiments such as sliced lime wedges, sliced peppers, cilantro and green onion