This 30 Minute Healthy Mexican Casserole is full of fresh veggies, lean ground chicken (or turkey), beans and just a bit of cheese to make it irresistible!
When that craving for mexican food hits ya but your waistline is saying no no no! We are here to say yes yes yes! Clocking in at only 230 calories for a huge serving you are will love this delicious and filling meal!
This recipe was inspired by one of my childhood favorites Easy Taco Pie. But sometimes we need to lighten up!
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY MEXICAN CASSEROLE
1.) Layer quartered flour tortillas on bottom of 9 x 9 pan.
2.) Spread refried beans on top.
3.) Top with cooked veggies and lean ground chicken (or turkey).
4.) Pour on the enchilada sauce.
Sprinkle with a bit of cheese and in the oven it goes!
15-20 minutes in the oven and you get a super big flavored casserole that won’t break the calorie bank!
I love to serve the leftovers over crisp cold lettuce. ..instant taco salad for my lunch!
Even better? We got a video to help you make this with ease- check it out here!
More Easy and Healthy Mexican inspired recipes? Here are a few of our faves!
Lazy Day Chicken Enchilada Casserole – Easy on the cook recipe with those big Mexican flavors you crave!
Mexican for breakfast! Mexican Breakfast Casserole! This overnight casserole is fabulous!
Or these popular Mexican Chicken Fajitas! Everything onto a sheet pan, bake and done!
To Healthy and Easy Meals with tons of Flavor…Mexican style!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
Healthy Mexican Casserole
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey we really love ground chicken if you can find it
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 8 inch flour tortillas cut into quarters
- 1 16 ounce can fat free refried beans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 10 ounce can enchilada sauce we used mild to make it family friendly
- 1/2 cup corn fresh, frozen or canned
- 1/2 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large skillet heat olive oil. Brown ground chicken, breaking up into small pieces as you go along. Drain any excess liquid.
- Add chopped peppers and onions to browed chicken and cook until softened but not overly cooked. About 5 minutes. Add corn, black beans and spices. Heat through.
- Spray a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with non stick spray. Line bottom of pan with quartered tortillas.
- Put the refried beans in a small bowl and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir to soften. Spread on top of tortillas.
- Add cooked meat and veggies on top of refried beans. Pour enchilada sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes until hot in the middle and bubbling around the edges.
- Serve with fresh avocado and sour cream.
7 WW Freestyle points.
Use ground chicken or turkey.
Serve with fresh avocado and sour cream.
Leftovers go great over fresh crisp lettuce for a taco salad!