These incredibly easy to make White Chicken Enchiladas are so easy to make and on your table in 30 minutes! They are creamy and cheesey and a perfect Mexican casserole!
We have been staying close to home like most of the world right now but we are lucky that Rachel, Greg and sweet Squishy live only a short half mile away. Sunday night dinners are our thing! We take turns cooking and these Easy Sour Cream Enchilada’s where a huge hit!
How to make Easy White Chicken Enchiladas:
Detailed recipe can be found in the recipe card below. A quick overview:
- We started with a couple baked chicken breasts we shredded but a store bought rotisserie chicken is perfect for this casserole!
- A simple mix of cheese and chicken. Roll them up in a tortilla and place in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Now the sauce! A easy 5 minute sour cream sauce that includes chicken stock, green chilies and sour cream! If you haven’t cooked with green chilies before you are in for a real treat! Not hot (make sure and buy the mild variety), but adds a punch of flavor! We sprinkled a bit of cumin to kick up that Mexican flavor even more!
- Pour the sauce over the stuffed enchiladas and in the oven it goes.
- More cheese – some favorite garnish and dinner done all in 30 minutes!
Can I sub corn tortillas for the flour tortillas?
- It’s really about preference. Health wise the corn is going to be lower in fat and calories. However it’s been my experience they don’t hold together as well as the flour…and with all that sauce you need some umpf! If you don’t mind a perfectly rolled enchilada when you remove them from the pan then absolutely!
What do I serve with this casserole?
One Pot Spanish Rice (stove top version)
What else can I stuff in that tortilla or sprinkle on top?
- black beans
- chopped tomato
- cooked crumbled sausage
- cooked crumbled chorizo
- top cooked enchiladas with chopped avocado
- just to name a few! Check your cupboards, throw it all in there!
We love all kinds of Enchiladas around here. A few of our favorites:
Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage – when you need them first thing in the morning :).
Lazy Day Chicken Enchilada Casserole – when just getting up is too much work.
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas – 5 ingredients and boom!
To easy dinners all the time!
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Creamy, delicious with 15 minutes of prep and into the oven it goes! No canned soup recipe will have you smiling all the way to the table!
- 8 8 inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded Monterery Jack Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 7 ounce diced green chilies
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non stick spray.
Combine chicken with 1 cup of cheese and cumin. Toss lightly to incorporate.
Fill each tortilla with chicken cheese mixture and roll up. Place in prepared dish seam side down.
Melt butter in medium sauce pan. Add flour and whisk until fully incorporated. Simmer until thick about 1-2 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer continuing to whisk and making sure no flour clumps form on the bottom of the sauce pan. Cook until thickened. Should coat the back of a spoon.
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and chilies.
Pour the mixture over the prepared enchiladas moving them around a bit so the sauce goes in between all the enchiladas.
Top with cheese and bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly around edges and enchiladas are just turning brown.
Optional: top with chopped tomatoe, cilantro or avocado