Crab Artichoke Dip is stuffed with artichoke hearts, cream cheese, a bit of poblano pepper and of course crab! On the table in less than 30 minutes and you can make the night before!
We like to give this crab artichoke dip a little kick by using a fresh poblano pepper. We love these peppers because they are spicier than a hatch chili but no where near a jalapeño. Not all your guests like a ton of spice so its a good middle of the road pepper.
There is a great little article on Huffington Post if you ever wondered about how spicy a variety of pepper is. Poblanos fall near the bottom of the heat chart.
What are we dunking into this crab artichoke dip?
- Baguette slices are our fave. When feeding a crowd you can toast a big batch by broiling on a cookie sheet. Simply place your rack under the broiler, heat to high and toast on both sides until lightly brown
- Also cucumbers, carrots, bread sticks
- Tortilla chips, bread sticks and crackers
Whats the best kind of crab to use for this dip?
- As much as I’d love to buy a big bag of fresh cracked crab meat, it simply isn’t practical. So we use canned crab lump meat. It’s important you get the ‘lump meat’ variety or the crab will disappear inside your dip…it would still be good but you wouldn’t know it’s there.
- There is also an imitation crab meat product that we like and have made this several times using it! If you find crab meat to costly or unavailable I’d highly recommend that product.
Can I make this crab artichoke dip in advance?
- A resounding YES! Mix it all together the day before, pour it into your pretty baking dish and in the fridge it goes!
- PRO TIP: When ready to bake, take it out for about 15 minutes to warm up a bit before baking. This will allow it to bake up much faster and evenly.
Because we are in perpetual party mode around here, we love to keep our fridge stocked with a few staples to make these easy appetizers!
Smoked Salmon Pizza – an unbelievably easy appetizer reminiscent of lox and bagel.
Homemade French Onion Dip – simply caramelize onions and add your cream cheese. Making the night before enhances the flavor!
Skinny Taco Tip – perfect for a crowd and easy on the chef as there is no cooking involved!
To parties parties and more parties!
This baked Crab and Artichoke Dip is baked up with artichokes, crab meat and is creamy and cheesey! Perfect for make ahead as well!
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature regular or light variety
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound lump crab meat
- 1 14 ounce can artichoke hearts drained and rough chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese 3/4 cup for dip and 1/4 cup for topping
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 small poblano pepper seeded and chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Add all ingredients (except 1/4 cup of parmesan for topping) in large bowl.
Mix until well blended and creamy.
Spray baking dish with non stick spray and spoon dip into dish.
Top with remaining parmasan cheese
Bake for 20 minutes or until top is brown and sides are bubbly
Serve with toasted sliced baguette if desired
- Uses canned lump crab meat if you can't find fresh
- Substitute jalapeno pepper for poblano for more heat if desired
- Serve with baguette slices, crackers, tortilla chips or sliced veggies
- To make the ahead of time simple store unbaked dip in refrigerator until ready to use