Zucchini Lasagna! Zucchini strips replace lasagna noodles for a low carb take on an old Italian classic.This no fuss recipe is simple easy, and combines whole ingredients for a healthier dinner your family will love.
Zucchini lasagna is the same as traditional lasagna- layers of zucchini ‘noodles’, meat sauce with marinara, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella. The only difference is this version is low carb because it has no pasta in it.It’s a win-win! I did not miss the noodles because the flavor is so good. In fact we liked it better than traditional lasagna. So much lighter!
Let’s get started! First off- preheat your oven to 375 degrees farenheit.
Step 1: Cut ends off of zucchini after washing, and using a mandolin slicer (preferably with safety glove or safety attachment!) slice lengthwise into slices. We recommend using mandolin slicer on 3mm. If you don’t have a mandolin- fear not! You can use a potato peeler (though the slices won’t be as large and it will take longer) or you can just slice them by hand.
Lay the slices on a paper towel and sprinkle lightly with salt. This will draw out some extra moisture and make your lasagna far less watery. Let them sit while you start the easy sauce.
Step 2: Brown the Turkey Sausage in a skillet with 1 diced onion, and 2 tbsp olive oil. Once meat is fully cooked, add 24 ounces of marinara sauce Set aside and allow to cool a bit.
Blot a dry paper towel over the zucchini to absorb any accumulated moisture.
Step 3: Mix 2 eggs with 15 ounces of ricotta cheese a pinch of salt and nutmeg. Set aside. NOTE: Adding 2 eggs to the ricotta helps keep it stable and thick throughout baking creating layers of flavor.
Step 4: How to assemble Zucchini Lasagna.
- Meat Sauce
- Ricotta Mixture
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Repeat for one more layer, and end with a final top layer of zucchini noodles and shredded mozzarella on top.
Step 5: Cover with foil. Bake your noodle free zucchini lasagna at 375 degrees farenheit for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
PRO TIP: Broil the top for a few minutes if desired for additional color.
Tips to make the best Zucchini Lasagna!
- What kind of pan did you use?
- I use a 9×13 porcelain casserole dish. This one here, to be precise!
- What kind of mandolin do you use?
- What other meat can I use?
- We love Turkey Sausage as it imparts so much flavor into the sauce but ground chicken, turkey or beef will work as well
- What kind of marinara sauce did you use?
- Rao’s is our favorite but we use Barilla as well. Just make sure it’s Marinara, no addtional meat or herb flavorings as that will change the taste profile quite a bit.
- How can I make this vegetarian?
- Substitute diced mushrooms in place of the meet. We recomment Portabella or Baby Bella for a meaty taste.
- How do I store leftovers and can this be frozen?
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months. We prefer reheating in an oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- What other recipes with Zucchini do you suggest?
- What other low carb dinners do you recommend?
Here’s to delicious and healthy dinners! – Rachel
- 9x13 Pan
- 4 large zucchini sliced into strips with a mandolin or potato peeler
- 2 tbsp salt to remove exess moisture- more may be needed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey sausage or ground chicken, turkey or beef
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 eggs
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut ends off of zucchini after washing, and using a mandolin (preferably with safety glove or safety attachment!) slice lengthwise into slices, about 3mm ) thick. Lay the zucchini strips on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit while you complete the next 2 steps (at least 15-20 minutes). Uses a paper towel to dab the excess moisture from zucchini.
- Cook turkey sausage in a skillet on medium high with diced onion, and 1 tbsp olive oil. Once meat is fully cooked, add 24 ounces of marinara sauce and heat through. Remove from heat.
- Mix eggs, salt and nutmeg with ricotta cheese. Set aside
- Meat SauceZucchini noodlesRicotta MixtureShredded MozzarellaRepeat for one more layer, and end with a final top layer of zucchini noodles and shredded mozzarella on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes. Broil the top for extra color if desired.
*Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. This does not cost you any extra and helps keep the ovens running at the Laughing Spatula kitchens!