This Mexican Breakfast Casserole is the PERFECT recipe for lazy Sundays, football parties, and last minute brunch get togethers!
The perfect, MAKE AHEAD breakfast or brunch casserole! Pin this now guys, it’s perfect for the all the holidays!
Whats NOT to love about this Mexican Breakfast Casserole?
Sausage, egg, corn tortillas, a bit of chilies, some peppers and of course cheese all spells YUM! All soaked overnight in eggs and half and half. Everything gets all soft and lovely so when you drag your tired butt out of bed, all you have to do is plop it in the oven, pour yourself a mimosa and amaze your family and guests with what a wonderful cook you are…and so organized! ‘Look at her go! Isn’t she something? I wanna be just like her when I grow up! ‘ This casserole can do all that for you! Your welcome. 🙂
I used store bought canned roasted chilies, opposed to roasting my own….big time saver, and removed a few steps. Sometimes Emeril makes everything sooooo complicated! This Mexican Breakfast Casserole comes together quickly and will feed a crowd of about 8-10 people.
A lot of the flavor depends on what kind of sausage you use. I used a chicken italian sausage. Nice flavor, doesn’t over power the dish but most any kind will work, including chorizo, but chorizo can be a bit fatty, make sure and drain the fat before adding it to the dish.
Garnish with sour cream (none in my fridge…sorry no pic of that) and avocado would be lovely (had one but it was hard as a rock). I really need to work on my garnishes ? Salsa and cilantro would work well too – nope, didn’t have that either…yikes! Back to food photo school for me!
Make this dish. Amaze your friends and family. Be a hero! Mexican Breakfast Casserole! xoxoxo!
Another great make ahead casserole is my Eggs Benedict Casserole!
No time for make ahead? Try these fabulous Super Easy Egg Boats – comes together in about 10 minutes!
A super flavorful overnight breakfast casserole with layers of tortillas, cheese and egg!
- 2 - 7 oz cans of roasted chile peppers
- 1 pound italian or mexican sausage I used italian chicken sausage
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped poblano anehiem or green pepper (I used poblano)
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 5-6 corn tortillas quartered
- 10 large eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups grated mexican style cheese or your favorite cheese blend
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Condiments such as sour cream salsa and avocado
- Cover a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with non stick spray, set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and chopped pepper over medium-high heat, stirring to break up the meat, until browned. Add chili powder, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and half-and-half with the hot sauce, salt and black pepper.
- Layer 1/3 of the roasted chilies on the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spoon 1/3 of the sausage mixture over the chiles in the dish, top with 1/3 of the tortilla quarters, and 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layering, ending with a cheese layer. Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients. Let rest, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, and a knife inserted into the custard comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Top with additional cheese if desired. Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.