I originally posted this several years back – Skillet Italian Chicken, when my blog was fairly new. I made it again last night….tweaking the recipe a bit to turn it into a one pot meal. The adjustments I made were minor but the results fantastic! This lovely ‘pot of dinner’ can be made and on the table in 30 minutes, get ready for your family to love you! Oh, did I mention healthy? Yup, gotcha covered there – who’s your buddy? Who’s your pal?
I love the idea of everything in one pan and bam, your dinner is done! What I don’t like is when the recipe asks you to cook the pasta, rice, chicken or other ingredients in a separate pan and then add them to the skillet. Wouldnt’ that make it a 2 Skillet dinner?
So off I went to my usual resources looking for the perfect recipe. It had to include several criteria:
1.) Must be able to cook entire recipe in one pan.
2.) Must include chicken (cause that’s what I had in my fridge).
3.) Must be able to use ingredients that are easy to obtain and usually on hand.
I dug into my plethora of recipe sights, blogs and even my old Time Life Magazine cookbooks but came up empty handed. What to do? I know! I’ll pour some wine and ponder…something wonderful always happens when I ponder and drink red wine. It’s my go too problem solver!
At last, I found an old issue of Cooks Country magazine and there, it was. Not only did it fit all my criteria, it was Italian! If you follow this blog, you know I’m a sucker for all Italian food.
Looking for another skillet one pot dinner? Try Skillet Pasta with Sausage!
One Pot Italian Chicken with Orzo
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken thighs or breasts -about 6 thighs or 4 breasts. I used thighs for this recipe but either will work.
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup Orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1 ounce can petite diced tomatoes - undrained 14.5
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Pat chicken dry and rub with oregano, pepper flakes, sprinkle of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat large nonstick skillet on medium high heat.
- Add chicken to hot skillet and cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side; transfer to plate.
- Add Orzo and garlic to empty skillet. Toasting Orzo and scraping up the bits left from the chicken. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and broth.
- Return chicken, along with any accumulated juices, to skillet and cook, covered, over medium low heat until chicken is cooked through and orzo is tender, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.