Cranberry sauce is second to Thanksgiving Stuffing for my favorite Turkey Day side dish! I love the tanginess of it but also the smell of it as it permeates my kitchen. This Cranberry sauce has orange, cinnamon and vanilla and has a high end taste with a simple recipe. It is bar none, the best Cranberry sauce you will have.
To some, the task of making this dish could be daunting; It seems like it might be complicated but it is probably one of the easiest recipes we have on our site. And might I say- one of the tastiest! I love this spread on sandwiches, slices of turkey, or just as a simple easy side dish. It’s actually fabulous with pork, as well!
To start, zest an orange (it should yield about a tablespoon of zest). The important step of this is making sure you only zest the outter orange layer, not the pith- that’ the white underlay of the orange and it is biter!
After you’ve added zest, orange juice, cinnamon, and cranberries in at least a 2 inch deep pot on the stove, you’ll add some vanilla extract, and continue to let simmer on medium heat. The cranberries will ‘pop’, meaning they will deflate, and in about 10 minutes, this will look just like the consistency of the cranberry sauce you are used to! That is…unless you are the type that likes the canned jellied kind, which I am partial to and if you do prefer that, I won’t judge. In fact- I’ll embrace you, because that stuff is delicious too.
Once the cranberries have popped and look like the above picture, remove from heat, allow to cool, and transfer to a serving dish.
And THAT, is how you make Orange Cranberry Sauce with Cinnamon and Vanilla! It is simple, easy, and delicious.
If you are a big fan of Cranberry recipes, check out these other recipes:
- Cranberry Curd Tart: Garnished with raspberries and pistachios- A unique holiday treat with bright, gorgeous Christmas colors!
- Overnight Cranberry Crush Vodka: No long soaking retired…instant boozy gratification!
- Cranberry Upside Down Cake: Festive, vibrant, and perfect for the holidays!
Need some Thanksgiving inspiration? Check out these recipes!
- Fondant Potatoes: Classy, elegant potatoes that are crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside.
- Homemade Rolls: ANYBODY can make these dinner rolls and the are so much better than store-bought.
- Homemade Green Bean Skillet Casserole: This is all made on the stovetop so you won’t use up any precious oven space. Plus- no nasty canned soup. This is alllllllll homemade!
- Herb Stuffed Turkey Breast: We have a small family, and make this instead of a full turkey. It’s just as flavorful, and equally as gorgeous on a Thanksgiving table.
- Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes: Again- saving oven space is a valued trait on Turkey day, plus these are as creamy as they get.
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon Pecan Crunch: A dish that tastes likes candy but with nutritional benefits. Even the pickiest of eaters will go bonkers for this on Thanksgiving.
- Make ahead Mushroom Gravy: A vegetable based gravy that tastes like the real thing. Perfect for carnivores and vegetarians alike, this creamy delicious gravy does not disappoint.
- Sheet Pan Pumpkin Pie: This recipe feeds a crowd and it’s SO MUCH easier than making a bunch of individual pies, and it slices up beautifully.
Cheers to Thanksgiving meals and cozy times with your family!
Learn to make this with our video here- It really helps show how the cranberries go from full to popped!
A delicious and simple recipe ANYBODY can make for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
- 12 oz fresh cranberries (this is a standard size bag)
- 1 tbsp fresh orange zest
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar use 3/4 cup if you like a sweeter cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
In a pot on the stove on medium heat, combine orange juice, orange zest, cinnamon, and sugar. Stir and allow sugar to disolve before moving to next step.
Add cranberries, and vanilla extract.
Cook until cranberries 'pop'. Once cranberries have fully deflated and sauce has thickened, transfer to serving container and allow to cool. Serve and enjoy.