This easy and delicious Plum Cake is what Winter dreams are made of! Full of aromatic nutmeg and cinnamon with slices of fresh plums on top, this is a simple cake with a ‘wow’ flavor that doesn’t take too long to make.
Ingredients needed for Plum Cake
- All purpose flour
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon sugar
- Powdered sugar
This cake is best made in a 9 inch springform pan, but if you are serving a crowd, you could also make it in a 9×13 pan (if you are doing this make sure to double the recipe). To start making this cake, we’ll mix the dry ingredients, and the wet ingredients separately. While this does add a step, it is key to ensuring the batter is mixed thoroughly (the process of why we mix ingredients separately when baking is explained well here if you would like to read about it!).
Once you pour the batter into the pan, arrange the plums (we leave the skin on) in a decorate pattern. I like to face them all the same way, but chef’s choice. Once the plums are arranged on top of the cake batter, give a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. I mixed cinnamon & turbinado sugar, I like the crunch turbinado sugar gives- but you an also just plain white granulated sugar as well. Bake the cake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven, and allow it to cool for about 30 minutes (or longer if you have time). Give a dusting of powdered sugar (if the cake is not cooled, the powdered sugar will ‘melt’ into it). Serve, and enjoy!
Here’s a few questions answered to make baking this plum cake even easier on you.
- Can I bake this in any type of pan?
- Yes, however keep portions in mind. If using a 9×13 inch pan, double the recipe. You could also make these into plum cupcakes.
- Would fruit other than plums work with this recipe?
- Yes. Specifically, apples, pears, and peaches would work great. Berries would work as well.
- Will this cake freeze well?
- Yes! Wrap it in tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 90 days. To thaw, place on the counter about 5-6 hours before serving.
- Can I make this gluten free?
- Yes- gluten free flour would work well in this recipe.
If you are looking for other delicious Winter time inspired recipes, here’s a few more we think you will enjoy:
- Cinnamon Apple Bread with Streusel Topping
- Own Bowl Cinnamon Apple Bars (my favorite!)
- Easy and Fresh Apple Cake
- Bananas Foster Upside Down Cake
- Cranberry Curd Tart
Cheers to food that makes your whole house smell delicious!
A delicious cinnamon vanilla cake with fresh plums baked into the topping.
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- .5 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (softened at room temperature)
- 1 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- .5 cup milk
- 2 cups sliced plums (skin on or off, chef's choice, we left ours on)
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Spray a 9 inch springform pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon & nutmeg). Set aside.
In a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar and mix on medium until creamed together, about 1-2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, mix again until combined.
Add half of the dry flour mixture, with 1/4 cup milk and mix until combined. Once combined, add remaining dry flour mixture, with remaining 1/4 cup milk, and mix until combined.
(Separating the flour/milk into 2 steps ensures a smooth batter with no lumps.)
Add batter to springform pan. Garnish with sliced plums in desired pattern. Sprinkle top of cake and plums with cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake cake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Garnish with powdered sugar if desired. Serve and enjoy!