This Turkey Chili with Sweet Potatoes is what we crave when we are eating clean! Ground Turkey, veggies, beans with a pinch of cinnamon…not kidding! It goes perfectly with the sweet potatoes. It’s the secret to this delicious chili!
Although it’s technically winter, I can’t complain about the cold weather …we bought a home in Palm Springs and it’s 80 today! Wearing cute sleeveless dresses around town and sporting some nice golf tan lines. The desert is where old bloggers go while new ones take over. But don’t count me out yet, I still have a ton of new recipes left in this old bod! And all this light is perfect for food pics! Thankful for my Rachel who runs the heck out of this thing when Mommy has gone AWOL in the California sunshine. xoxoxo to my sweet girl!
So lets talk turkey chili! I love this recipe and have been making it for years. I use 93/7 ground turkey because I find that fat free all white meat ground turkey tastes a lot like a roll of paper towels. But if you wanna cut out about 12 calories a serving, it will work. I just wanna slather some mayo on it…
HOW TO MAKE TURKEY CHILI WITH SWEET POTATOES –
Brown your ground turkey in a large pot. I find a potato masher helps to get it a nice consistency.
Now the veggies! My favorite part!
I kept it simple with onion, red pepper, garlic and of course the sweet potato. We are not much for spicey stuff around here but if you are, add a chopped jalapeño pepper. I also love the addition of a poblano which is rather mild. Just remove the veins and seeds which is where all the heat lives.
This big pot of chili takes only about 30 minutes to make and freezes extremely well.
We serve it with corn bread and honey. (I like those little boxes of Jiffy…I know! But for boxed stuff it’s pretty good!).
About the beans: I used black beans because I love ’em but any bean with do. Kidney would be a good sub.
The secret to this chili is a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Believe me when I say it is delicious! If your hesitant, spoon up small bowl and add a pinch. Give it a taste and I think you will agree it’s a perfect match with the sweet potatoes.
We love big pots of healthy meals. A few of our favorites….
20 Minute White Chicken Chili – This low calorie delicious soup takes just a few minutes to make and has a huge flavor!
Or a big bowl of this Mexican Shrimp and Corn Chowder – It looks so fancy but comes together super quick. It’s my personal fave soup on this blog!
To sunshine and soup…a delicious combination!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
Turkey Chili with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey we used 93/7
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped green pepper or poblano can be subbed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce prefer unsalted
- 1 15 ounce can roasted red tomatoes, undrained regular diced will work
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 large sweet potatoes, cubed about 2 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Heat large soup pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add olive oil.
- Add ground turkey, breaking apart with a wooden spoon or potato masher until reaches desired consistency . Continue to cook until brown and cooked though.
- Add onion and chopped pepper. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add beans, diced tomato, spices and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Add sweet potatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer until sweet potatoes are fork tender. About 15-20 minutes.
- TASTE FOR SEASONING. More salt? Pepper? Cumin?
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, grated cheese or avocado if desired.