Vietnamese Chicken Salad – Light, fresh crunchy salad with a lime infused dressing you will love! Napa cabbage is the base of this healthy salad then tossed with all kinds of crunchy stuff…we love crunchy stuff!
Where has this salad been all my life! We couldn’t get enough of it. I’ll admit, I do love my veggies and this one is packed with all of my favorites!
Ingredients for Vietnamese Chicken Salad –
- Napa cabbage
- Cooked chicken breast
- Red bell pepper
- Green Onion
For the Dressing
- vegetable oil
- hot sauce
- minced garlic
- fresh lime juice
- fish sauce
Fish Sauce? In a salad dressing?…
How can fish sauce be good in salad dressing…or anything else for that matter! Here is how I explain fish sauce:
You think you don’t like anchovies but you love caesar dressing? It’s the same thing with fish sauce. It adds amazing umami to asian dishes and you love asian dishes right? You don’t taste fish. Not at all, it just adds a depth of flavor. So give that fish sauce a try, you might just love it!
How to make Vietnamese Chicken Salad –
We start with a base of chopped Napa cabbage. If you have never tried this you are in for a treat! Next we cut carrots into matchsticks and slices of red bell pepper, green onion and fresh cilantro.
Chicken – you can use a store bought rotisserie chicken for a really easy meal. I happen to have some leftover baked chicken so I just shredded that up. Chicken thighs are a good sub as well.
After prepping your veggies and salad dressing. Simply toss together! You may not use all the dressing, just add what you like.
What else can I use in this chicken salad? –
- bok choy
- bean sprouts
- micro greens
- endless amounts of veggies!
Toss just what you need in dressing then cover the rest and keep in the refridgerator for up to 3 days for the salad and two weeks for the dressing.
More crunchy recipes you will love!
- Thai Peanut Salad
- Meditteranean Couscous Salad
- Radish Celery Salad with Orange and Honey Dressing
- Cheddar Bacon Stuffed Celery
- Quick Pickled Cucumbers
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 6 cups napa cabbage - sliced thin
- 3 green onions - chopped
- 1 red bell pepper - sliced thin
- 1 cup carrots - cut into matchstick size
- 1/2 cup cilantro - chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice - about two limes
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce - like Srichacha (more if you like heat)
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a small bowl or mason jar, add all the salad dressing ingredients. Shake and store in refridgerator until ready to serve.
- In large salad bowl toss all the salad ingredients together.
- Toss the salad in the dressing. You may not use all the dressing. Pour only as much as you like.
- Serve immediatly with fresh baguette or rolls.