A cool and crunchy main dish salad that will feed a family and then some. Hello lunch box!
This is a noodled up version of my Crunchy Thai Salad. You can make this spicy or not so much. I fall in the ‘not so much’ category, so you will find this recipe on the mild side and family friendly. For you hotties, a bigger pinch of chili flakes or a slug of sriracha added to the peanut sauce and you are good!
If you are a follower, you know I love easy meals with tons of flavor. This is no exception. The ingredient list may look a little daunting but it’s all stuff you most likely have hanging in your pantry. A little bit of this and a little bit of that…..
I used dry ‘chinese noodles’ that I found in the asian section of my regular old supermarket but spaghetti will work just fine. Thin spaghetti, even better. The chinese noodles take only 5 minutes to cook so that was a bonus.
Make your sauce first. Like all my recipes that include a sauce or dressing, it makes a ton! I hate coming up short in the sauce department. Better to be over sauced than under sauced…true?
- Use grilled or baked chicken thighs, breasts or store bought rotisserie chicken will work just fine.
- Sub store-bought cabbage slaw in lieu of napa or savoy cabbage.
- You can use spaghetti or thin spaghetti in place of chinese noodles.
- Subs for coconut milk: half and half, chicken stock, almond milk. (regular milk could curdle, not advised).
- If you like spicy, heat up the sauce with additional chili flakes or hot sauce.
A few more Thai inspired dishes you might like!
Thai Chicken and Noodle Salad with Easy Peanut Dressing
- For Peanut Dressing
- 1/2 cup peanut butter smooth or chunky will work
- 1/3 cup coconut milk - lite is fine
- 1 clove large garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped ginger or 2 teaspoons ground
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- juice of one lime
- pinch of red chili flakes - adjust for your taste
- For Salad
- 1 pound cooked sliced chicken thighs (chilled or room temp)
- 4 cups sliced savoy or napa cabbage bagged store bought in a pinch
- 1 carrot julienned
- 1/2 large red pepper sliced
- 1 english cucumber seeded and sliced
- 8 ounces pasta - chinese noodles or spaghetti
- Chopped peanuts for garnish
Cook pasta according to package directions - drain and rinse. Chill in refrigerator while making remaining salad.
Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend for about 10 seconds. Taste for seasoning, adjust. Add additional coconut milk to thin if necessary.
Plate up noodles, cabbage and chicken.
Drizzle with peanut dressing and sprinkle with additional chopped peanuts if desired.