This is sooo out of the norm for me to make. I rarely do international dishes and boy have I been missing out! I must have 10 pins saved to my ‘recipes to make’ Pinerest board that include some form of coconut curry. This dish has been calling to me for a long time. “Hellllooooo…food rut girl. Time to breakkk ouuutttt”…
So I took a little of one recipe and a pinch of another to come up with something that cooks up quickly and in one pan, with the highest flavor profile possible…and of course, keeping it relatively healthy.
I used chicken thighs but chicken breasts would work great. Just reduce the cooking time a bit so you don’t dry them out. 12-15 minutes should do it for breasts, 25-30 for thighs.
I was not prepared for the heat of the Thai chili paste. Just as a side note, do not dip your spoon in the jar and give it a quick taste unless you want to break your taste buds…not that I would do that or anything, just sayin’. I used 2 tablespoons in my original recipe but cut it back to 1 for the published recipe. You guys can add more if you like it. Too spicy for this gal.
I used light coconut milk, because after reading the calorie difference on the back of the can, I just couldn’t help it…yikers! Huge difference! (secretly would love to try the high fat version though…someday when I’m all skinny and stuff). If you have 10, 000 steps on your Fitbit today, I say go for the whole fat, otherwise, the light is darn tasty.
This comes together really fast and all in one skillet. No clean up or fuss, just really good food… the way we like it around here! It is also #Paleo and #Whole30 friendly. Serve over rice or cauliflower rice if desired.
If you are not feeling very international today but in need of a yummy chicken dinner, try my Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet!
Skillet Thai Chicken Coconut Curry
- 6 Chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 16 oz light coconut milk
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion halted and sliced
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon red thai curry paste adjust to your taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 lime quartered
- Coconut flakes for garnish optional
- Serve over rice or cauliflower rice if desired.
- Wash and trim excess fat from chicken. Pat dry with paper towels. (this will help the chicken brown)
- Heat large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Brown chicken 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove to plate and keep warm.
- Add additional tablespoon of olive oil.
- Saute green peppers, yellow onion and half of chopped green onion. (saving additional green onion for garnish). Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and chili paste. Squeeze of half lime. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back to pan and continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through with an internal temp of 165 degrees. 25-30 minutes for bone in chicken thighs. 12-15 for chicken breasts
- Top with remaining lime wedges and onion for garnish.
- Serve over rice if desired.