Chili with Sweet Potatoes can be made with ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken. It’s a 30 minute pot of healthy comfort food and all made in ONE POT! The sweet potatoes give a welcome and healthy kick your whole family will love!
The chili pictured here is made with beef but we love Turkey Chili with Sweet Potatoe just as much!
What ingredients do I need for this 30 minute chili?
- 1 pound of ground beef, chicken or turkey
- sweet potato
- red pepper
- poblano or hatch chili (jalapeno if you really like it spicy)
- roasted diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- chili powder
- beef or chicken stock
- brown sugar
- cinnamon – our secret ingredient!
- cheese for topping!
What can I serve with this sweet potato chili?
Can I make this in the slow cooker?
- YES! Simply follow the directions for browning and toss the rest in the pot. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2 hours.
Top your Chili!
There is no end to the list of toppings you can add to this delicious bowl of chili! A few suggestions:
- sour cream
- tortilla or corn chips
- cheese, any kind you love!
How to store your Chili with Sweet Potatoes:
- refrigerate any leftovers in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- freeze in freezer bags for up to 3 months.
More One Pot Comfort food Recipes you might enjoy!
- 20 Minute Chicken and Corn Chowder – A family favorite, we have been making this for years!
- One Pan Mealtballs and Pasta – everything in the pan, even the uncooked pasta!
- Spanish Chicken and Rice – big flavors but easy prep in this delicious chicken and rice bake.
- Chicken in Tomato Sauce – the most popular One Pot recipe on the blog and for good reason!
To easy comfort food! Clink!
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
An easy to make delicious chili with the addition of sweet potatoes. All cooked up in one pot.
- 1 pound ground beef – ground turkey or chicken can be substituted
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped – Hatch Chili , poblano or jalapeno can be substituted for more heat
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can can diced roasted red tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups beef stock – or chicken stock if using ground turkey or ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- salt and pepper
In large soup or stock pot heat one tablespoon olive oil. Add ground beef. Cook until brown and cooked through breaking apart until crumbly. Remove excess oil from pan.
Add onion and pepper to beef. Continue to cook until onion and pepper are tender. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add beans, tomatoes, spices and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer. Taste for salt and pepper.
Add sweet potatoes and continue to simmer until potatoes are tender. About 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning. More cumin? Chili powder? Salt?
Serve with your favorite toppings!
Store leftovers in sealed container in the refridgerator for up to 5 days or freeze in freezer bags for up to 3 months.