A cool and crunchy main dish salad that will feed a family and then some. Hello lunch box!
This is a noodled up version of my Crunchy Thai Salad. You can make this spicy or not so much. I fall in the ‘not so much’ category, so you will find this recipe on the mild side and family friendly. For you hotties, a bigger pinch of chili flakes or a slug of sriracha added to the peanut sauce and you are good!
If you are a follower, you know I love easy meals with tons of flavor. This is no exception. The ingredient list may look a little daunting but it’s all stuff you most likely have hanging in your pantry. A little bit of this and a little bit of that…..
I used dry ‘chinese noodles’ that I found in the asian section of my regular old supermarket but spaghetti will work just fine. Thin spaghetti, even better. The chinese noodles take only 5 minutes to cook so that was a bonus.
Make your sauce first. Like all my recipes that include a sauce or dressing, it makes a ton! I hate coming up short in the sauce department. Better to be over sauced than under sauced…true?
- Use grilled or baked chicken thighs, breasts or store bought rotisserie chicken will work just fine.
- Sub store-bought cabbage slaw in lieu of napa or savoy cabbage.
- You can use spaghetti or thin spaghetti in place of chinese noodles.
- Subs for coconut milk: half and half, chicken stock, almond milk. (regular milk could curdle, not advised).
- If you like spicy, heat up the sauce with additional chili flakes or hot sauce.
A few more Thai inspired dishes you might like!
Thai Chicken and Noodle Salad with Easy Peanut Dressing
- For Peanut Dressing
- 1/2 cup peanut butter smooth or chunky will work
- 1/3 cup coconut milk - lite is fine
- 1 clove large garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped ginger or 2 teaspoons ground
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- juice of one lime
- pinch of red chili flakes - adjust for your taste
- For Salad
- 1 pound cooked sliced chicken thighs (chilled or room temp)
- 4 cups sliced savoy or napa cabbage bagged store bought in a pinch
- 1 carrot julienned
- 1/2 large red pepper sliced
- 1 english cucumber seeded and sliced
- 8 ounces pasta - chinese noodles or spaghetti
- Chopped peanuts for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions - drain and rinse. Chill in refrigerator while making remaining salad.
- For Dressing:
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend for about 10 seconds. Taste for seasoning, adjust. Add additional coconut milk to thin if necessary.
- Plate up noodles, cabbage and chicken.
- Drizzle with peanut dressing and sprinkle with additional chopped peanuts if desired.