These 20 minute shrimp stacks are super easy, flavorful, and colorful! Fresh shrimp, avocado, mango and rice are formed into restaurant style stacks for an easy dinner everyone loves.
Shrimp Stack Ingredients
- To keep the 20 minute timeline, we use frozen rice. Grain Trust is our favorite brand, we buy it at Sprouts but have seen it at most major grocers.
- Pro Tip: If you want a sushi-esque flavored shrimp stack, add about 2 tbsp of rice vinegar to the rice and stir well.
- You could use brown rice if you preferred!
- We use fresh, already cooked shrimp. Chef’s choice for what size. Little bay shrimp are good too!
- Green Onion
- Sauce of Choice (we used teriyaki)
- You can choose what you like to toss your shrimp salad in (teriyaki, ponzu, etc). We also love this honey sesame dressing.
- Furikake Seasoning (optional)
- Furikake is a Japanese blend of nori (dried seaweed) and sesame seeds. It gives the shrimp stacks a distinct sushi like flavor. Trader Joes sells it occasionally but you can also find it at most Asian grocers.
Microwave the rice and allow for it to get to about room temperature. Mix the fully cooked shrimp, avocado, sliced mango, and green onions together in a bowl. Toss with dressing of choice, and set aside.
Note that you do not want to mix the shrimp salad portion too early because the avocado will brown, so mix it no sooner than about 15 minutes before serving.
Next, line a 1 cup measuring cup with plastic wrap (this helps release the shrimp stack in a nice form). The first layer will be the shrimp salad, followed by rice. I recommend packing the rice to help ‘form’ the shrimp stack. I normally do about 1/2 cup of each but you can choose whichever ratio you like.
Remove the plastic wrap, top if desired with furikake or sesame seeds and enjoy!
If you like this shrimp stack recipe, here’s a few similar recipes we think you’ll like:
20 Minute Shrimp Stacks
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup cooked shrimp (chopped, or left whole at size of choice)
- 1/2 cup chopped mango
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions
- 3 tbsp dressing of choice
- Line a 1 cup round measuring cup (or small dish of choice) with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, add shrimp, mango, avocado, green onion, and dressing of choice. Toss to combine.
- In plastic wrap lined cup, add shrimp salad, followed by rice. Pack rice with a spoon to form shrimp stack appropriately.
- Place cup upside down on small plate, and gently lift. Remove plastic wrap. Top shrimp stack with toppings as desired. Serve & enjoy!
Leave a Reply