This Baked Spaghetti Casserole will quickly become a family favorite! We love how easy it is to make with whole ingredients and it feeds a crowd!
Classic Baked Spaghetti! Every once in awhile I just need a good old fashioned home cooked, non Paleo, carbarific meal. I have a long standing habit of cooking up a big casserole or pot of something on friday so I do not have to cook all weekend. I hate cooking on the weekends. ( unless it’s Peanut Butter Crinkle Cookies. I make those most every weekend. Priorities my friends).
Weekends are for restaurants. You can usually find us slurping up oysters and sipping Prosecco around noon then moving on to a late lunch somewhere. By six o’clock I need a nap and no way am I cooking. Why am I so puffy? hmmmmm. Such a mystery….hiccup.
I think this recipe originated from Paula Deen? That’s about as far back as I can trace it. I’ve been making it for years and have simplified it a tick. I usually use angel hair pasta but all I had was a thin spaghetti and it worked beautifully. You can use what ever kind you like. Whole wheat works great too.
Like usual I opted for ground chicken. Big surprise huh? Ground beef, turkey or a mixture of all would work as well. Surprisingly this is pretty healthy if you watch the cheese. It’s a basic tomato sauce you can make from scratch or improvise with a store bought jar. I opted for home made this time but I have used the jar stuff too and got pretty great results. Either way I don’t think you will be disappointed.
If its friday and you are looking to free up your weekend with another great casserole…try this Baked Ziti with Bechamel !
This Baked Spaghetti Casserole will quickly become a family favorite! We love how it is made with simple ingredients and feeds a crowd!
- 8 oz spaghetti
- 1 pound ground chicken beef or turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 32 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In large skillet brown ground meat. Drain excess fat. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In same skillet, add olive oil, chopped onions and garlic. Saute until onions are soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add meat into sauce.
- Butter a 9 x 13 dish.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with 1/3 of the meat sauce.
- Top with half the pasta and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Repeat layers ending in sauce. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until warmed through and bubbly!