This is our Best Spanish Rice! Its a one pot wonder of a side dish that has a ton of flavor! You can adjust the seasoning to your liking, adding a bit more spice or reducing it to make it more family friendly.
One cooks Spanish Rice is another cooks Mexican Rice.
Whatever you call it, it’s a great side dish that cooks up easy and will kick up that boring old chicken you are about to bake..again! Every time I make this dish I wonder why I waited so long to revist it!
If you are familiar with this recipe on our site, you will notice some changes! This recipe was in need of an up-do. New pictures, and an updated recipe that’s even better than our original and easier to make! Win win!
What we really love about this dish is that you add the uncooked rice right to the skillet. No need to pre-cook it. One pan and who doesn’t love less dishes to wash?
Here’s my new favorite blue skillet again! Get used to seeing it, I am totally in love with this beauty!
After the rice is added and tossed around a bit you combine tomatoes, broth and spices.
Now put the lid on and try not to peek! I’m a pot stirrer so I allow myself one little stir about half way through. Just to check nothing is sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
Some tips to make the Best Spanish Rice!
- I have made this with long and short grain rice and they both cook the same.
- You can use broth or water but broth adds more flavor. Stick with the low sodium stuff if you can.
- MOST IMPORTANT: Spices vary in intensity. I kept the spice low on this recipe because it’s a lot easier to add some in than take it out.
- Don’t cook this soooo long that there is no liquid left. You want about a half cup that hasn’t cooked into the rice. It will continue to absorb as the rice cools a bit.
- Nice additions would be corn or black beans. Toss them in after the dish is cooked to warm through so they don’t get to soft.
You can also have your Spanish Rice with Chicken! See that recipe here!
To big flavors that everyone will love!
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula, while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
While you’re at it- check out our video of this Best Spanish Rice to see how great it turns out!
This one skillet big flavored rice dish cooks up in about 30 minutes. Even the rice goes in uncooked!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup peppers, chopped - green, red or a combination of both
- 1 cup yellow onion - chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional) seeds removed and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked short rice works best but any will do
- 1 15.4 oz can roasted diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated cheese for topping optional
- In large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Saute peppers, onion and garlic until just tender.
Add tomato paste and cook for one minute.
Add rice, broth, canned tomatoes , spices, salt and pepper. Stir well. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low.
Put lid on skillet. Simmer for 10 minutes then give a little stir to be sure rice isn't sticking. Return lid to pan and cook for another 10-12 minutes or until the rice is tender but about 1/2 cup liquid still remains in the pan. (Remaining liquid will be absorbed as the dish cools a bit.)
Taste for seasoning! More cumin, chili powder, salt or pepper?
Top with cheese if desired and serve with grilled chicken, taco's or your favorite Mexican main dish!
Be sure to check for seasoning. Chili powder and cumin can vary in intensity.