Cauliflower Rice with Mushrooms and Feta! – This combo will make you quickly forget it’s cauliflower and not rice!
Cauliflower rice where have you been all my life! I mean I have heard of it, but I really didn’t think it would taste like rice…but it does! Especially with a little help from my beloved mushrooms and pinch of thyme and feta!
A huge tasty helping of this stuff clocks in at only 99 calories a serving, and it’s a big serving!
I bought a two pound bag of it at Costco. I used fresh, but frozen will work fine. Just increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
The mushrooms and the thyme give it an earthy flavor and the feta? Well everyone knows feta makes everything beta!
Easy of course…I mean super easy! Chop, chop, sauté, sauté, eat eat!
How to make Cauliflower Rice with Mushrooms and Feta
First things first, the mushrooms, onions and garlic. TIP: Do not salt your mushrooms until they are as brown as you want them. Salt keeps them from reaching their full browning potential!
Cauliflower rice comes several ways. Fresh or frozen works in this recipe.
- Buy a fresh whole cauliflower head and either grate on a box grater or pulverize in your food processor.
- Store bought fresh riced cauliflower.
- Store bought frozen riced cauliflower.
After a quick sauté add your stock, a pinch of thyme then toss in a little feta.
Need some better tips on how to make this? Watch this video!
- If you are Paleo, Whole30 or on any other eating program that restricts dairy, simply omit the feta. The flavor is still fabulous!
- Fresh or frozen (unthawed or thawed) works, just increase the cooking time a bit if working with frozen.
- Add more veggies! Carrots, broccoli, leeks are a few that come to mind.
To healthy and flavorful food!
Check out a few of my other quick cooking healthy recipes here!
Cauliflower Rice with Feta and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms sliced or quartered
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower rice fresh or frozen (does not need to be thawed if frozen)
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock low sodium
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black ground pepper
- In large skillet heat olive oil.
- Add mushrooms and onion, sauté until onions are translucent. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, cauliflower rice, salt and pepper.
- Saute until cauliflower is slightly tender. About 5 minutes.
- Add stock and thyme.
- Continue to cook until cauliflower rice is fully tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. About 5 minutes.
- Add feta and taste. More salt? pepper? thyme?.
- Garnish with additional thyme and a bit more feta if desired.