This Turkey Shepherd’s Pie will use up all your Thanksgiving leftovers in the most delicious way! Turkey and vegetables. beans, corn, carrots and your mashed potatoes and gravy! Tons of substitutions included.
Ingredient options to make Turkey Shepherd’s pie with Thanksgiving leftovers:
- Turkey – dark or light meat chopped into 1″ pieces
- Beans – green bean casserole or plain cooked green beans chopped
- Mushrooms – optional but we love them with this dish
- Leftover stuffing
- Leftover mashed potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes if you have them!
- Gravy – no gravy leftovers? No worries we got ya covered!
Basically the sky is the limit on this dish! If you have it leftover, it can probably be tossed in this pie!
How to make leftover Turkey Shepherd’s Pie:
We start by cooking up a bit of onion, celery and some mushrooms if you have them.
From there it gets even easier! If you have left over gravy this is where it goes in…if not, no worries! Add some flour and stock and whip up the gravy right in the pan!
Toss in your turkey and veggies and your almost done!
Got stuffing? Scatter that on top of your meat and veggies before the mashed potatoes.
Soften your mashed potatoes in the microwave on high for 1 minute or until smooth before spreading onto your casserole.
A few of the recipes we have used in this Easy Holiday Casserole:
- Green Bean Casserole in a Skillet
- Whipped Mashed Potatoes
- Honey Glazed Carrots
- Traditional Thanksgiving stuffing
- Easy Mushroom Gravy
Tip for make ahead and storage:
This casserole can be completly assembled and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Preheat oven to 375 and bake for about 30 minutes or until completely heated thru.
Cover left overs in a airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freezing is not recommended.
To Holiday recipes that keep on giving! Clink!
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Make this delicious pie with all the leftovers from Thanksgiving!
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or turkey stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or two teaspoons fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups leftover turkey meat – white and dark meat cut into 1" cubes
- 1 1/2 cups assorted leftover vegetables peas, beans, corn etc.
- 1 cup leftover stuffing – if you have it
- 4 cups mashed potatoes – microwave on high for one minute to loosen up
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
In large skillet heat 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions, celery and mushrooms. Cook until soft and onion is translucent .
(NOTE: If using left over gravy add 1 to 1 1/2 cups to pan and omit this step)
Sprinkle flour on top of veggies and continue to cook for one minute until thick. Add chicken stock. Cook until thick and bubbly.
Add thyme, salt and pepper.
Add turkey and remaining left over vegetables (about 1 1/2 cups total, such as peas, carrots and beans). Heat through. Taste for seasoning.
Pour into a buttered casserole dish. Top with stuffing (if using) and warmed up mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until bubbly around edges and hot in the middle.
Either use your own leftover gravy or follow the instructions for our simple gravy made right in the pan!