These incredibly easy and decadent Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cakes are stuffed with gooey peanut butter and take only minutes to bake up! Don’t be fooled by it’s fancy exterior, these little cakes are super easy to make!
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER LAVA CAKE –
- good quality semi-sweet chocolate – 70% cacao if you have it, if not regular will do.
- confectioners sugar
- cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- creamy peanut butter – do not use natural or almond butter just regular old PB like Jiff or Skippy
- chocolate sauce for garnish if desired or melted peanut butter works great
PRO TIP: Don’t have ramekins? Use a muffin tin. This recipe will make 6 smaller cakes in a muffin tin.
Step 1 – To help these cakes pop out of the ramekins, simply spray each dish liberally with non stick spray and coat with cocoa powder.
Step 2 – In a medium microwave safe bowl melt the butter. Add the chocolate chips on top and microwave 10 seconds. Stir and microwave again for 10 seconds.
Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together in a small bowl.
Whisk the flour, confectioners sugar and salt in another small bowl.
Add the flour and egg mixture to your melted butter and chocolate mixture combining well.
Step 3 – Divide the batter between the four ramekins evenly. Take about one tablespoon of peanut butter and drop it in the center, pushing it down until submerged.
Step 4 – Place on baking sheet for easy handling and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cake is no longer soft and top is firm.
FINAL STEP! This went fast!
Let cool for 2-3 minutes. Using hot pads (these ramekins are hot!) invert onto a small plate. Top with melted chocolate or peanut butter and dusting of confectioners sugar. LOVE LOVE LOVE!
MORE EASY DESSERTS FOR YOU! –
- Chocolate Mouse Cake – 3 ingredients!
- Glazed Orange Bars
- Easy Chocolate Ganache Tart – make filling in the microwave!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cake
- 1 cup good quality semi sweet chocolate – about 6 ounces
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter – like Jiff or Skippy. Do not use natural style peanut butter.
- Melted peanut butter or chocolate for drizzle if desired.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray ramekins with non stick spray and dust with cocoa powder.
- Chop the chocolate coarsely. Melt butter in microwave using a medium size microwave safe bowl. Top with chopped chocolate. Microwave for 10 seconds and stir. Microwave an additional 10 seconds and stir until smooth.
- Whisk flour, sugar and salt in small bowl. Combine eggs and egg yolks in another bowl whisking until well combined.
- Pour flour and egg mixture into chocolate butter mixture. Stir well.
- Divide batter evenly amongst 4 ramekins. Drop a tablespoon of peanut butter in center, pushing down until submerged.
- Place ramekins on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until top is firm.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes. Using oven mitts invert ramekins onto small plates. Top with drizzle of peanut butter and a sprinkle of confectioners sugar.
- Use good quality semi sweet chocolate such as Ghiradelli. You can use 70% cocoa as well for a deeper chocolate taste.
- Use only smooth peanut butter like Jiff or Skippy, not crunchy, natural style or almond peanut butter.
Why can’t I use use natural peanut butter or almond butter? It’s all I have 🙂
Kathi & Rachel says
Hi Aileen – it’s wont hold it’s shape. When it heats up it gets very watery.