It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and what other way to celebrate than with cookies? Grinch Cookies are delicious cakey sugar cookies with a green hue and a candy sprinkle heart.
I made these while watching the 2018 version of The Grinch on Netflix- it’s my favorite version. The music is great and I find it a lot more light hearted than the Jim Carey version which honestly, kind of creeps me out. I love that these cookies are cakey and delicious, and you can flavor them with any type of extract (I’ll give some examples in the recipe card).
First- we’ll mix our dough. It’s a simple light, airy cookie that will semi harden in the oven on the exterior, but leave you with a soft cakey inside. We will mix the dough, then add the green food coloring. I bought my food coloring off of Amazon in a small pack- *here is a link to the food coloring I used, the color is ‘grass green’. I used about 6 drops to get a light minty color, but you can go as light or as dark as you please. Note that the dough will be darker than the finished cookie- see picture below vs. the finished cookie!
Once you add in the food coloring, mix the dough for about 30-45 seconds, or until it is green throughout.
Once the dough is fully mixed (and the best part of this dough is there is no need to chill it!), use a cookie scooper, roll the cookies into a ball, roll them in sugar, and bake on a cookie sheet for about 10-12 minutes.
Right when the cookies have finished baking, add a red candy heart (*here are the ones I bought on Amazon) to the cookie, allow to cool, and boom! Grinch cookies are complete in a grand total of about 20 minutes.
If you are looking for other Christmas cookies, here’s a few more of our favorites:
- Loaded Brownie Mix Cookies
- Thick and Chewy Cowboy Cookies
- Cream Wafer Cookies– Use any color frosting for any holiday!
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt
- Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter Crinkle Cookies
We hope you enjoy these Grinch cookies as much we did!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (or extract of choice)
- 4-6 drops green food coloring (chef's choice to achieve color desired)
- 2 tbsp sugar (to roll cookies in)
- large red heart sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit.
- In a stand mixer (or mixing bowl with electric mixer), combine sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add baking powder and salt. Gradually add in flour, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Once dough has formed, add food coloring, and mix until dough is green throughout (about 30-45 seconds).
- On a large baking tray (lined with either parchment, foil and sprayed with nonstick spray), use a cookie scoop to form cookies, then roll into ball, roll through sugar, and place on cookie tray at least 2 inches apart on all sides.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until fully cooked through. Right after removing cookies from oven, push large heart sprinle into cookie. Serve and enjoy!
*Note- this is an affiliate link- we earn a small commission when you purchase from an affiliate link which helps keep our ovens running so we can continue to churn out free recipes for you!