This Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet is a clean eating feast! Stuffed full of fresh flavor that fills you up and best yet, it takes only about 20 minutes!
We have found it! The perfect dinner, lunch and breakfast for when your eatin’ skinny.
This beautiful skillet dish came together when I was scouring the cupboards for something satisfying. The down side about living in two places is you are constantly in fridge clean out mode. This could break ya or make ya and I go creative! I had ground turkey and a sweet potato..the rest of it I forged out of the dark corners of my pantry….scary back there.
I kicked up the flavor with cumin and chili powder for a taco flavored masterpiece! Fork to face for 15 minutes and it fed us for three days. Two dinners and a breakfast!
How to make this Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet –
Cube and cut up your sweet potato in about 1/2 to 1 inch cubes. Roast in a hot oven for 15 minutes.
While your sweet pots are roasting, cut up a pepper and some onion. I used a poblano because they are my fave and give a little kick. You could use red, green, hatch…whatever you love.
This is a poblano. Remove the seeds and the veins and you have a mildly spicy pepper that the whole family would love!
My new favorite skillet! It’s so pretty and functional! Heavy duty with a pretty enamel coating. Ive used it over and over again and it’s still perfectly white!
Can I use ground beef or ground chicken in this Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet?
- Yes! In fact I love ground chicken and use it much more than ground turkey.
PRO TIP: We prefer 93/7 ground turkey or chicken. Fat free ground turkey is dry. It is and you can’t change it. Unless you smother it with butter…
Next toss in your sweet potatoes and black beans.
TASTE FOR SEASONING. More cumin? Spices vary by brand, you may need more. Salt, pepper?
Hey, whats that sauce?
- It’s a blend of fat free plain yogurt and Franks Red Sauce and it’s the bomb ditty! It’s a new fridge staple and I’ve been dipping it in everything! One cup of yogurt to 2 tablespoons of hot sauce and it’s dippity doo dah day!
- TIP: I put everything in these squeeze bottles.…I like to play chef. Sometimes I make my husband call me ‘chef’. CHEF! whats for dinner! I try not to go all Ramsey …scares the hell out of him.
And on day three….we turned it into brekkie! The meal that just keeps on giving!
What else could I toss into this Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet?
- lean sausage
- zucchini – toss in later in the cooking process so it doesn’t get mushy
- white potatoes in lieu of sweet potatoes
- corn – gonna try that next time!
- season with oregano and basil in lieu of mexican spices for an Italian flare
- whatever you find in your crisper will probably be good to toss in !
More fast, fresh and healthy meals in one skillet!
To healthy fast and fresh meals!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
A 20 minute super healthy meal made with ground turkey, sweet potatoes and tex mex spices to create a one pan dinner your whole family will love!
- 1 large sweet potato cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken 93/7 fat content
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 poblano pepper chopped, seeds and veins removed
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- sliced green onion for garnish
- 1 cup fat free plain yogurt something smooth like Chobani brand
- 2 tablespoons Franks Hot Sauce
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
line sheet pan with foil for easy clean up. Toss cubed sweet potatoes and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake for 20 minutes or until slighly roasted. Remove and set aside.
While potatoes are roasting. Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the pepper and onion until soft.
Add ground turkey and cook breaking up with a spoon. About 5 minutes or until no pink appears.
Reduce heat to medium. Add potatoes, black beans and spices to the pan.
Sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and green onions.
combine yogurt and hot sauce. Drizzle over skillet.
Serve with fresh green salad for a complete meal!
7 WW Smart Points for 1/4 of the skillet. Sauce is zero SP...yay!