Skillet Baked Eggs with Potatoes and Bacon is the perfect Sunday morning breakfast. Potatoes, onion and bacon sizzle in a skillet while over easy eggs are finished off in the oven. A sprinkle of cheese and chives finishes it off- yum!
My name is Rachel, and I’m an eggaholic. I love eggs. Poached eggs. Hardboiled eggs. Egg Salad. Runny Eggs. Firm Eggs. Scrambled Eggs. Hell, even chocolate eggs. I could go on…This skillet breakfast is one of my favorite ways to enjoy eggs because it is so easy to make, and it looks so impressive!
How to make this Baked Egg Skillet Breakfast
To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and heat a cast iron skillet with a little butter and olive oil. We use both for the butter flavor, and the olive oil helps to keep the butter from burning. Add potatoes and onions until browned as desired- you can go for crispy, or just a slight toast on the outside.
Next step is to add in crumbled bacon (or chopped bacon) and make a well where each egg will go. Crack an egg into each well, and place the pan in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked as you like them. 15-17 minutes will get you a fully cooked egg, 10 will leave the yolk a little runny.
After the eggs have cooked, add some chives to garnish, along with some fresh cracked pepper, and breakfast is ready!
You can easily customize this skillet breakfast, here’s how!
- Add more vegetables: red bell pepper, purple onion, zucchini, mushrooms, or even some jalapeño.
- Use turkey bacon, sausage, or even Beyond meat.
- Add your favorite seasoning, or some cayenne pepper for some heat.
Looking for more breakfast recipes? Here’s a few more we love:
- Twisted Bacon
- Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Mini Quiche in Wonton Wrappers
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Crustless Quiche
- Breakfast Casserole
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole
Cheers to easy and delicious breakfast! – Kathi and Rachel
Skillet Baked Eggs with Country Potatoes and Bacon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups medium golden yukon potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup crumbled or chopped bacon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (Optional for garnish)
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped chives (Optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On stovetop: Heat oven safe skillet to medium high heat, and add butter and olive oil. Once sizzling, add potatoes, and onion to pan. Add salt, pepper to taste along with granulated garlic. Stir for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes and onion have nice brown toasty edges.
- Add bacon to skillet and stir. Make small well where for eggs, and gently crack and drop eggs into well, leaving yolk in tact.
- Place skillet in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your desire.
- Top with cheese and chives if desired. Serve and enjoy.
Paul S says
Delicious… When I make this I use fresh bacon chopped into small bits and fried in the dry skillet as a first step. Then the potatoes and onion fry in the rendered bacon fat for extra happy goodness..
Can’t wait to make this again!
James Goacher says
I hope you were not looking for an argument because that seems like heaven to me. Usually I use left-over potatoes from the night before and sliced rather that small cubed from raw but I will try doing that. I would add some mushrooms too and toasted bread slices.
Kathi @ LaughingSpatula.com says
Love the idea of mushroom James! Thank you for your note!
Elaine @ Flavour and Savour says
Mmmmm! Perfectly cooked eggs nestled in a bed of creamy potatoes, bacon and cheese! Comfort food for those with sore backs, and for the rest of us too!
Kathi @ LaughingSpatula.com says
Hi Elaine! With two minor modifications this can be a really healthy dish…but who can resist the cheese! Thank you for your note!