One pan 30 Minute EASY SALISBURY STEAK! Tender beef patties simmered in a savory mushroom and onion gravy. Total comfort food that comes together in about 30 minutes!
Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Who doesn’t like a bit of gravy now and then! We have been making this Easy Salisbury Steak dinner for as long as I can remember.
It looks like guy food but I’m telling ya, us girls love it too! Bonus is it’s cooked up in one pan with just a few ingredients. The gravy is cream free…although no one would blame ya if ya tossed in a quarter cup or so…
File this under Recipes to use for Ground Beef, Turkey or Chicken!
How to make Easy Salisbury Steak :
Start with good fresh ground beef. I used 85/15 fat content.
Season your ground beef following the recipe card and form into patties. Do your best to not over mix to avoid tough burgers.
PRO TIP: I like to make a little indent in the middle of the pattie which helps cook them evenly without expanding and being to thick in the middle. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
We love a cast iron pan for this dish. It helps form a delicious crust on the beef patties and color is flavor!
Can I use ground turkey or ground chicken to make Salisbury Steak?
You can and we have! Gravy makes it all good! Avoid fat free turkey or chicken, it tastes like a roll of paper towels. You will only save a few calories and fat grams. Not worth it to us. Use a dark/white meat blend with a 93/7 fat content and you will love it!
Remove the beef patties from your pan. Add the mushrooms and saute until brown, scraping up all those delicious left over bits on the bottom of the pan.
Toss in your onions and give them a few minutes to soften up and brown.
Stir in a bit of flour to help thicken your gravy then pour on the beef stock!
Let simmer for about 5 minutes until thick and bubbly gravy goodness appears. It’s gravy magic!
Add your patties back to the pan and simmer until cooked through and at a minimum of 160 degrees and get ready to shine like the rock star cook you are!
There is no one who doesn’t love this pan of comfort food!
What do I serve with this Easy Salisbury Steak?
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes – start these earlier in your slow cooker and dinner will come together in a flash!
- Cooked pasta – we like a nice wide noodle like a fettuccine egg noodle or even a rotini would hold up good with this.
- Simple steamed veggies like broccoli, cauliflower or carrots make a great side dish.
More easy and comforting meals that come together in a flash!
To fast and fresh dinners that are good for the soul!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
Easy Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
For Beef Patties
- 1 pound ground beef we used 85/15
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs panko or regular unseasoned
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon granualted onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For Mushroom Onion Gravy
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced we recommend crimini
- 1 cup onion, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all beef pattie ingredients into large bowl. Divide into 4 equal patties.
- Heat large cast iron pan or skillet to medium high heat.
- Place patties in hot skillet and sear for 1 -2 minutes on each side until a nice crust forms (beef patties will not be all the way cooked through but will continue to cook in the gravy)
- Remove cooked patties from pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add one tablespoon butter to pan along with sliced mushrooms. Cook until browned. Add sliced onion cooking until soft and transluecent. Add garlic and cook for an additonal 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinle flour on top of mushroom mixture and stir until no dry flour remains visible.
- Add beef stock and bring to a simmer while stirring for about 3 minutes until thick.
- Add beef patties back to pan and cook an additonal 10 minutes until patties are cooked through and a minimum of 160 degrees.
- Serve with mashed potatoe or noodles and steamed veggies for a complete meal!