Homemade Chicken and Noodles is the ultimate comfort dish! Hearty, homemade 10 minute egg noodles, precooked chicken and a hearty blend of vegetables coated in a creamy sauce. These chicken and noodles are what Fall and Winter cozy meal dreams are made of!
What I love most about this dish is that you can use any chicken you have on hand; leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, even leftover turkey from Thanksgiving would be delicious.
To start this dish, make and boil your egg noodles. You can find the full egg noodle recipe here. They are simple to make, and only require a few ingredients- flour, eggs, heavy whipping cream and salt. Once they are boiled and fully cooked, drain them in a colander, rinse with cold water so they dont stick together, and set aside.
Add mirepoix (a chopped vegetable blend of carrot, celery and onion) to a pan with 1 tbsp butter, 1 tsp fresh chopped thyme, and 1 tsp of finely fresh chopped rosemary along with salt and pepper to taste. Keep in mind if you are using salted butter to go easy on the salt! Once the onion is translucent, add in 2 tbsp of flour, and stir to coat. Add chicken stock, and stir until thickened (about 1-2 minutes).
Once the mirepoix and sauce mixture has thickened, add heavy whipping cream and stir until combined. The noodles do a great job of soaking up this sauce, so while it may look like there is alot, it will combine well and be just enough!
Next step is to add the chicken and noodles, and stir until they are all coated in the sauce.
I recommend serving this immediately to keep it gooey, but if you are enjoying it for leftovers, add a few tablespoons of chicken stock to brighten it up and microwave it for 30 seconds at time until warm throughout.
Other tips to make Homemade Chicken and Noodles:
- Add more vegetables if you like! Peas, corn, zucchini, mushrooms, even green beans would be great.
- Season it to your liking; poultry seasoning, fresh herbs, even adding cajun spice for a kick would be delicious.
- If you are short on time or don’t like chopping vegetables, Trader Joes sells a pre-chopped mirepoix mix that works well.
- Don’t feel like making your own noodles? While I believe they are the star of the show, you can use store bought egg noodles (found in the pasta aisle of your supermarket).
If you are a big fan of easy, and comforting skillet meals- check out these other recipes!
- 20 Minute Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- One Pan Meatballs and Pasta Skillet
- Easy Italian Pasta Skillet
- Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Cheers! – Kathi and Rachel
Homemade Chicken and Noodles
2 Cups Cooked Homemade Egg Noodles
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs (2 whole eggs + 1 yolk only)
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup flour (for dusting only)
Chicken Vegetables and Sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 cups precooked shredded chicken *Rotisserie chicken works great.
- Follow the recipe and instructions for egg noodles here: https://laughingspatula.com/how-to-make-egg-noodles/
- Once finished cooking, drain in a colander, rinse with cool water to prevent sticking, and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, melt butter and add celery, carrott and onions to a pan. Add thyme, rosemary and salt/pepper. Stir to combine and allow to sautee. Once onion is transulcent, add flour and stir to coat vegetables.
- Add chicken stock and stir. Once thickened, add in whipping cream and turn heat to low. Allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken and egg noodles. Stir to combine and allow to simmer/absorb sauce for 3-5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply