This is the perfect, easy casserole and you can change it up in so many ways! Tender, fluffy cornbread is baked on top of chili, for the ultimate, cozy casserole experience.
Chili Cornbread Casserole Recipe
This is a super simple recipe to make, and the leftovers are the best part!
Step 1. You’ll make a homemade chili (but with less liquid as we are keeping it ‘casserole style’)
Step 2. Make a homemade (or boxed) cornbread batter. Pour the batter on top of the chili in an oven safe dish, and bake. Voila! Chili cornbread casserole is served.
We like to top ours with a bit of sour cream, chives and cheddar cheese but a drizzle of honey would also be delicious.
Between the layers of chili and cornbread, I add a layer of sour cream and cheddar cheese. This is optional, but I like to add it as a layer separator, but also compliments the spice of the chili quite nicely.
Equipment needed for Chili Cornbread Casserole:
- Pot to make chili
- Mixing bowl for cornbread batter
- 9×13 oven-safe casserole dish OR a 10 inch cast iron pan
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until the cornbread is fully cooked through (insert a toothpick into the center, if it comes out clean, the cornbread is cooked).
Other Ways to Make Chili Cornbread Casserole
- You can use boxed Jiffy cornbread mix if you prefer not to make your own. 1 box, prepared according to the directions on the box will suffice.
- I used ground chicken for the chili, but you can use any ground meat that you prefer (beef, pork, turkey, chicken, etc). You could even make this vegetarian and use Beyond Meat!
- If you want a Fall inspired flavor, you could use our Chili with Sweet Potato recipe. A pinch of cinnamon and sweet potatoes make this *chef’s kiss* delicious!
- Add more vegetables if you’d like- fresh corn off the cob, zucchini, even carrots or peppers would be delicious.
If you love chili, and casseroles, here are a few more recipes we think you will love!
- Green Chili Chicken
- 20 Minute White Chicken Chili
- Easy Tortellini Casserole
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Cheers to easy recipes! – Kathi and Rachel
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we might receive a very small commission, at no additional cost to you, should you chose to purchase that linked item. We only link to items I know and trust. Clink!
Chili Cornbread Casserole
- 1 lb ground chicken (or ground meat of choice)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (drained)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 14.5 oz can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2.5 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika (smoked or regular)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (fresh cracked is best)
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter (melted and cooled to room temperature)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Spray a 9×13 oven safe casserole dish or 10 inch cast iron pan with nonstick spray, then set aside.
- In a medium sized pot on medium-high heat, add ground meat of choice. Continue to cook, breaking apart until fully cooked.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper, and chicken stock.
- Stir until combined before adding in kidney beans to prevent breakage. Simmer for 3-5 minutes and remove from heat.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate small bowl, combine milk, eggs and butter, whisking until combined
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and whisk until fully combined and a batter is mostly lump free. Set batter aside.
- 1. In greased casserole dish, add chili. 2. If desired, add sour cream, then shredded cheese (chili should be cooled to room temp to allow for easier layering). 3. Add cornbread batter, spreading evenly on top. 4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cornbread comes out clean.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, and enjoy!