Homemade Egg Noodles are so comforting! This recipe is simple and shows you how to make egg noodles step by step. An easy dough comes together in a few minutes and is boiled, giving you homemade noodles with a dumpling like texture, perfect for soups or casseroles.
Egg Noodles are made of a dough consisting of flour, egg, salt and a liquid- some recipes call for butter, but I find heavy whipping cream gives them a nice creamy and silky texture, which is what we’ll use for this egg noodle recipe. They have a dumpling like texture and are thicker than store bought.
How do I make Egg Noodles?
In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, eggs, whipping cream and salt. Using a fork, mix the dough until fully combined. If you find the dough is too sticky for your liking- add 1/2 tablespoon heavy whipping creamy and knead until combined once again. Note- the dough should be somewhat sticky, but should easily pull apart from the side of the bowl.
Once the dough is ready, add flour to a flat surface (like a cutting board) and form the dough into a ball. Cover with flour to prevent sticking, and begin to roll it out.
When rolling out the dough, it is chef’s choice as to how thick you prefer them. Egg noodles puff up when boiled, so give the dough a little grace and keep this in mind when rolling. I prefer my noodles to be a Little on the thicker side for a more rustic and dumpling like texture. This is a good time to start boiling a pot of water on the stove to cook the noodles.
Once the dough is rolled out to your liking, cut the dough into your desired shape. I used a knife to cut mine into strips, but you can also use a cookie cutter and cut them into shapes!
Boil the egg noodles for 5-7 minutes, or until they float to the top. Voila! You made your own noodles!
If you are wondering how to serve these noodles, here’s some ideas!
- Serve with butter, salt and pepper for a simple side dish. Add parsley or parmesan to kick up the flavor
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
To delicious home cooked noodles! Cheers! – Kathi and Rachel
How to Make Egg Noodles
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs (2 whole eggs + 1 yolk only)
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup flour (for dusting only)
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, eggs, salt, and whipping cream. Knead with fork until well combined and dough is formed. If dough is sticking to sides, add 1/2 tablespoon of additional whipping cream if needed.
- Dust flat surface (cutting board) with 1/4 cup flour. Form dough into ball and roll in flour to prevent sticking to surface. Roll dough into 1/4-1/8 inch (chef's choice on thickness).
- Cut noodles into strips or shapes and boil for 5-7 minutes, or until they float to the top.
Leave a Reply