Mac and Cheese is a delightful dish on its own but the combination of broccoli and cheddar make this a dish the whole family will love. This recipe is best served immediately which makes it the perfect weeknight comfort meal!
I used elbow macaroni for this recipe but shells would be great, too.
If you want to save some time, boil your pasta day ahead, rinse with cool water and toss with a smidge of olive oil to keep it from sticking (storing it in a large ziplock works great). To get going, make a roux- a mixture of butter and flour, and once combined, add in milk. I like to use milk to keep it healthier, but if you wanted to really up the flavor anty, you could use half and half. Whisk continuously until thickened.
Shred your own cheddar cheese- it adds to the flavor, and melts so much better!
Once the sauce has thickened, we add in our hand shredded cheddar cheese. I used Colby jack as its what I had on hand but any kind of cheddar you prefer works great (being mindful that some cheeses won’t melt as well- extra sharp or aged for example), turn off the burner, and continue to whisk until the cheese is melted and mixed in. Pre-shredded cheddar cheese has a coating which keeps it from sticking to each other in the bag and because of that coating, it doesnt melt as well.
Fresh cut pre steamed broccoli works great, but you can use frozen too.
Once the cheese has melted, add in the pasta, and the broccoli, give it a good stir, and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes with some extra shredded cheese on top. This gives the pasta a chance to absorb the cheese sauce, and the cheese topping to melt.
That’s it! You got yourself homemade mac and cheese with broccoli. Is there any meal more comforting? Well…maybe, here’s a few other pasta comfort favorites of ours!
- Best Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 20 Minute Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- Creamy One Skillet Chicken and Orzo with Mushrooms
- Baked Ziti with Sausage and Bechamel
Cheers to comfort foods that taste like a warm hug feels! – Kathi and Rachel
Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
- 1 lb elbow noodles
- .5 cup salted butter
- .5 cup all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- .5 tsp pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 8 oz hand shredded yellow cheese (colby jack or cheddar preferred)
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain well.
- In a separate large saucepan, melt butter on medium heat and whisk flour to form a roux. Add salt, pepper, onion powder, and dijon. Cook another minute or so and continue to whisk.
- Add milk and continue to whisk until smooth. Continue to whisk until sauce thicks, about 5 minutes. Once thickened, remove from heat, add cheese, and allow cheese to melt. Whisk continuously.
- Add cooked pasta and presteamed broccoli florets. Serve immediately.