Pesto Mozzarella and Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breasts – With video! You won’t believe how easy this beautiful dish is to make!
Have you ever taken a bite of something that is soooo good, and somebody tries to talk to you and you are so deep into that bite, that you can’t talk? You just give them a crazy lady stare and keep chewing and smiling, chewing and smiling….
This Pesto Mozz and Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe is that kind of dish! And not only is it a flavor bomb, it is super easy to make and all in one pan!
This dish is perfect in it’s imperfections! All that gooey cheese and dripping pesto. But yet, it’s not so bad on the fat-o-meter. Just 2 tablespoons of pesto, a few slices of fresh tomato and a quarter cup of mozz!
To start, slice your chicken horizontally, but not all the way through. So it opens like a book. A really tasty book :). Check out the video for a great tutorial!
Spread on the pesto. Add sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of spinach if you like.
Now just fold it over and secure with a couple toothpicks. It’s sloppy and perfect!
Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and give it a quick sear in an oven proof skillet. Cast Iron was made for this dish, but any oven proof skillet will work. You could also move it from the skillet to a baking sheet to finish off in the oven.
If I were a chicken, this is how I’d like to be remembered….
A few tips on making Stuffed Chicken Breasts:
- I used store bought Pesto. Love Costco brand.
- Sear on both sides and finish baking in the oven in the same skillet or move to a foil covered baking sheet.
- Serve with an easy pesto/yogurt dipping sauce if desired.
- You can see all my One Pan Dinners here!
Another great and easy chicken dinner! Greek Sheet Pan Dinner.
And one more! Tex Mex Chicken Skillet! This 30 minute meal incredibly easy with tons of that Tex Mex flavor we all love!
To the wonderfulness of chicken breasts!
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula, while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
An easy one skillet dish using chicken breasts, pesto, tomato, mozzarella cheese and spinach! A 30 minute meal with tons of flavor!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 tablespoons pesto
- 8 slices tomato
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut chicken breasts horizontally but do not cut all the way through. Open up. (see photo above)
- Spread entire opens surface of chicken with 2 tablespoons pesto.
- Add 2 sliced tomatoes to half of the chicken.
Top with 1/4 cup of grated mozzarella and a few spinach leaves.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle on a bit of olive oil.
- Heat oven proof skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- When olive oil is sizzling, carefully add chicken.
- Sear on each side for 2-3 minutes using tongs to turn.
- Finish baking in oven for about 8 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- For a dipping sauce: Combine yogurt and pesto and serve over the chicken or on the side.