Double Chocolate Whiskey Cake with Whiskey Ganache! – Whiskey and Chocolate you were made to be BFF’s!
Who loves booze and chocolate? Raise your forks!
I have found it…the best cake in the world! It’s got chocolate, it’s got whiskey, it’s got more chocolate! It will make your kitchen smell like a distillery! (I mean that in the best possible way).
I used my Best Choclolate Cake recipe and just tweaked it a bit. I reduced the baking powder to give it a more dense cake texture. I added additional chocolate chips to the batter and of course the booze!
(Obligatory ganache pour shot. :). Look at that bourbon bottle shining like a new diamond in the background. Fairly empty …not sure how that happened…hiccup.)
Tips to make to make this Chocolate Whiskey Cake with Whiskey Ganache!
- Cake: Use good chocolate and cocoa! I made this for my BFF in Palm Springs last week. I was in a hurry and used an off brand of cocoa and chocolate chips (Trader Joes). It was a DISASTER! Sorry dear Raela and Bob, I made you a broken cake…what good is a BFF that has a food blog if she can’t make you a decent cake? Now the good news is, your chocolate and cocoa doesnt have to be some high end unavailable stuff. Ghiradelli is my first choice but I have made this cake with Nestle Semi-Sweet chocolate chips, and it was fabulous. I used Hersheys Unsweetened Cocoa ,which is in most of our cupboards already. Just saying, don’t buy the cheap-o stuff.
- Whiskey: I am no whiskey officiando. I can talk wine all day long but don’t ask me to explain the difference between whiskey and bourbon. But what I do know is that, for this recipe, you need a full flavored whiskey-bourbon. Something like Jack Daniels. A nice Kentucky mash would work as well. I used Woodinville Whiskey. A distiller right outside of Seattle. Avoid the Canadian blends like Crown Royal. The flavor won’t hold up while baking. You will need a total of 4.5 ounces. You might consider buying those little bottles we call ‘spark plugs’ around here. They are great for recipes and other stuff…:).
- Ganache: Ganache is equal parts cream and chocolate. Thats it. It sounds sooooo fancy but it’s remarkably easy to make. I make my ganache in the microwave. Doesn’t get much easier. Warm up the chocolate, heat the cream to almost a boil. Pour hot cream over chocolate, mix and you got a fancy schmancy chocolate topping for just about everything. Make the ganache first and chill while the cake is baking. This will thicken it up so it’s the consistency in the photo below. Yum.
This recipe will work in a 10″ spring form pan or a 9 x 13 inch cake pan. I like this cake best when made a day ahead but not essential. Just make sure it’s cool before you frost it.
Looking for a more family friendly chocolate cake? Got ya covered here!
Best Chocolate Cake! One bowl easy and comes with a recipe for an 8 x 8 or 9 x 13 pan…so you can have a little, or a lot!
Or how about a big sheet pan full of Chocolate and Cherries? This beauty was a Pillsbury Bake-Off Winner and tastes like it!
To boozy desserts!
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula, while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
This cake will make your next grown up party a hit! Filled with chocolate and a hint of bourbon taste. Super easy on the cook recipe!
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup sour cream light is okay - do not use fat free
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee - cooled
- 1/2 cup whiskey/bourbon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup rough chopped chocolate for garnish optional
- 8 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons whiskey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 10" spring form pan or a 9 x 13 baking pan with non stick spray.
In large mixing bowl combine egg, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla until well blended.
Add cocoa powder, whiskey and coffee. Mix until no lumps are evident.
Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Mix until just combined.
Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
Let cool completely.
For Ganache Frosting
Pour chocolate chips in large microwave save bowl and microwave for one minute until chips are just soft.
In another microwave safe bowl, heat cream until it just begins to boil. About 2 minutes.
Pour over chocolate chips.
Let sit for 2 minutes before stirring.
Stir with whisk. Chocolate will melt and will become a creamy consistency.
Add vanilla and whiskey and salt
Cool in refrigerator for about 30 minutes or longer until a thick consistency. (You can make this the day before and just microwave for 20 seconds before frosting)
Spread over cake and sprinkle with chocolate pieces.