We love anything you can set and forget, and this Slow Cooker Teriyaki chicken is par for the course for an easy meal. A homemade teriyaki sauce, some chicken breasts, and a few easy steps get you to a perfect dinner!
Chicago has pizza. Maine has lobster. Philadelphia has cheesesteaks. Did you know Seattle’s hallmark is actually Teriyaki chicken? Yep! You can read about it here, it’s actually a pretty interesting story.
I have a soft spot for teriyaki chicken, it reminds mea of home. Friday nights when we didn’t feel like cooking we’d go up to our local Teriyaki joint (Miakos in Renton, Washington!) and bring home 2 orders, and share them amongst the 3 of us (my mom, my dad & me). In a 3 part Styrofoam container you’d get an order of teriyaki chicken, rice, and a watery iceberg salad with this dressing. Memories..my favorite part about food.
While this style of teriyaki chicken is not really Seattle style (I WILL blog that someday, I just need to use our BBQ and with a toddler that is borderline impossible), it is still delicious.
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
- Soy Sauce
- I always use low sodium.
- Rice Vinegar
- Agave works in a pinch.
- I use pre minced for easiness but fresh works great as well.
- Again, pre minced. I really think it has just as great of flavor but with way less effort.
Mix up all the ingredients together, and whisk well. The honey does get a little sticky but with enough whisking will mix in well. You can microwave for 10-15 seconds or so if you want to loosen it up a bit.
Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker, with the teriyaki sauce poured over it. They will not be fully coated, and that’s okay! The chicken is fully cooked once it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees fahrenheit
After the chicken has been shredded, add a cornstarch slurry to the sauce which will thicken it immediately. Once it is thick add the shredded chicken, and serve!
We love this shredded Teriyaki Chicken served over white rice, and steamed broccoli. Here’s a few side dish recipes we love to go with it!
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes:
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- Mix teriyaki sauce ingredients in a bowl until fully whisked together.
- Add chicken to slow cooker, and pour teriyaki over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, remove from slow cooker and shred. Set aside.
- Remove sauce from slow cooker, and pour into a small saucepan on medium high heat (you can strain it if you prefer a smoother sauce). Add cornstarch slurry (cornstarch and water mixed together) to teriyaki sauce, allowing it to thicken, removing from heat once thick.
- Combine shredded chicken & teriyaki sauce in slow cooker, and leave on 'warm' setting until ready to serve.