We love this easy to make Tortellini Sausage Soup! Puffy and cheese filled tortellini mingle with sausage and other fresh ingredients to make a fabulously big flavored soup!
Super fast and easy soup that packs a huge big flavor! There is sausage, tomato paste, a bit of cream and roasted red peppers! (I just buy a jar at the store…no need to break out the grill).
This is a bit of a cheater recipe. It is my Gnocchi Sausage and Spinach Soup recipe, only with tortellini instead of gnocchi. Oh, but it is so good….who says cheaters never prosper?
I use chicken sausage, which I find to have the same big flavor as pork sausage with a lot less fat and grease to contend with and my arteries and butt say thank you chicken sausage!
You also won’t have to drain the sausage before adding the rest of the ingredients, so it removes one more cooking step. Yay!
It makes a nice size pot of soup. Takes about only 30 minutes from start to finish, so it’s a perfect weeknight meal. You can dress it up with some fresh basil and top with grated parm. Dinner done and the chances of you having enough for your lunchbox the next day are good!
I have always loved sausage based soups. They are easy on the cook and pack a punch of flavor.
One of my other favorites is this Italian Sausage and Mushroom Soup .
See all of our soup recipes on our Soup and Stew Pinterest Board!
Make soup…be happy!
Tortellini Sausage and Spinach Soup
- 1 pound Italian chicken or pork sausage in bulk or removed from casings
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers drained and chopped about 3 peppers total
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves rough chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream half and half is okay too
- Fresh grated parmesan and basil for garnish
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, brown the italian sausage.
- Drain any accumulated oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the bottom of the pan.
- Add onion and red pepper to sausage.
- Cook over medium-low heat until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomato paste, saute an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add basil and chicken broth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tortellini, and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer 5-7 minutes or until tortellini is tender and floats to the top.
- Add cream and spinach. Bring back to simmer and serve.
- Garnish with fresh basil, Serve with Parmesan cheese.
A very delicious soup. I have made other soups with Italian sausage but this is by far the best.
Kathi & Rachel says
Thanks Susan! We are so glad you loved it. We have a few more soups with sausage you might enjoy. A Gnocchi and a minestrone. Just use the search bar to see all of our soups!
Best soup of I’ve tasted. I’m in Texas & it’s hot but it’s never too hot for this soup!!
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook says
I always love a soup that’s so versatile. Gnocchi or tortellini, I don’t care, sounds good to me!
Kathi Kirk says
Thanks Lauren! Hoping you get a chance to give it a try!
Sarah @ Champagne Tastes says
Oh I’ve missed soup!! It’s still almost 100 degrees here.. but soon! I can tell it’s gonna be cooler soon! This sounds deliicious
Kathi Kirk says
It was 90 here in Seattle when I made this soup…still not sure why but I had to have me some soup! Thanks for the note!
sue | theviewfromgreatisland says
I am so ready for comforting soups…and there’s a little nip in the air today, perfect timing!
Kathi Kirk says
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche says
This sounds gorgeous, either with gnocchi or tortellini. Both such great ingredients to make a soup more hearty!