This 30 minute Fish Stew has firm white fish chunks, shrimp and is smothered in a delicious tomato and coconut milk broth! An amazing blend of flavors and on the table in no time!
If you have never cooked with coconut milk this is a great recipe to start with!
Like all of our recipes we made this as simple as possible but still kept all of the flavors of a traditional Brazilian Fish Stew. We made it family friendly by reducing the peppers but if you are a big fan of spice, don’t be stingy with the jalapeños!
Ingredients you will need for Brazilian Fish Stew:
- Firm white fish such as mahi mahi, cod, halibut or sea bass. You want a fish that you can cut into chunks. We used mahi.
- Raw shrimp – must be raw because you are going to extract the delicious broth from them. We used 21-30 per pounds size.
- coconut milk
- crushed tomatoes
- tomato paste
- tresh red bell pepper
- green onion
- tresh Lime
- Start by squeezing fresh lime onto the fish and shrimp.
- Heat your skillet with some butter and olive oil.
- Gently saute your fish and shrimp. You want it to release as much broth as possible as this will enhance the flavor of your stew!
See all that yummy broth…thats fishy gold flavor!
- Remove the fish to a plate.
- Add veggies and saute.
- Add tomatoes and coconut milk.
Now add your seafood back to the pot!
Bring to a low simmer and serve!
How do I serve this fish stew?
- Traditionally this is served over a scoop of cooked white rice. Try our fool proof oven baked white rice. This will bake up while your making your soup!
- Fresh lime wedges
- Fresh jalapeño if desired
This would be delicious along side our Easy Rosemary Foccacia Bread.
To 30 Minute Meals that taste like they took hours!
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
30 Minute Brazilian Fish Stew - Moqueca
- 1 pound firm white fish such as mahi, halibut or cod
- 1/2 pound shrimp raw, devined thawed if frozen
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup red pepper diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk full fat for best flavor but light is okay
- chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish
- lime wedges
- Serve over cooked rice
- Cut fish into one inch pieces. Add to bowl along with shrimp. Add juice of lime, paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In large skillet, add butter and olive oil. Heat to medium heat. Saute fish and shrimp slowly allowing juices to release. When fish is just cooked thru remove to plate and set aside leaving all the juices in the pan.
- Add onion, red pepper and garlic. Saute' until pepper is just soft.
- Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir. Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Taste for seasoning. More cumin? Salt? Pepper?
- Add fish and shrimp back to the pot and heat thru. Serve with white rice and lime wedges.