Wow your guests with this Artichoke Butter Board! Made with fresh roasted Ocean Mist Farms artichokes along with roasted garlic and a bit of spinach and lemon. The combo is so impressive and look how beautiful it is!
We made this recipe super easy by roasting the artichokes and the garlic at the same time, and we love that this recipe uses the entire artichoke. You can roast the artichokes and garlic several days in advance as well. Keep reading for make ahead instructions!
This post is sponsored by Ocean Mist Farms, which is perfect because they are known for their Gold Standard of Artichokes! Ocean Mist Farms Artichokes are grown in 2 different regions in California (Castroville and Coachella), which strategically supplies the best quality of artichokes year round, to consumers all over North America. Click here to find them at your local grocer!
How to make an Artichoke Butter Board –
Step 1: Wash and trim your Ocean Mist fresh artichokes and using your fingers seperate the leaves. Ocean Mist Farms Artichokes are produced year-round, with the highest quality and freshest taste, in multiple varieties!
Next, cut 1/4 inch from the top of a garlic bulb exposing the garlic.
PRO TIP: Rub each artichoke with half a lemon. This will help it to retain some of it’s color. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Step 2 – Wrap each artichoke individually with heavy duty aluminum foil.
Drizzle the exposed garlic bulb with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Wrap in foil separately. These will bake at the same time as the artichokes…so easy!
Bake at 425 degrees for an hour. If you have a large artichoke, bake it for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Artichokes are roasted perfectly when a knife inserted into the bottom of the artichoke enters easily…similar to a baked potato.
Step 3 -While the artichokes and garlic are roasting in the oven, combine all of your butter ingredients (except the artichokes hearts which we will add later). Let sit at room temperature if serving right away, refrigerate for next day serving.
How to make an Artichoke Butter Board ahead of time –
- Follow the instructions to roast the artichokes and garlic. Let cool and put in ziplock type baggie. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Combine all butter ingredients and store in refrigerator in a glass or plastic container. Bring to room temperature before spreading on board.
- Serve butter and chilled artichoke leaves!
Step 4 – Cool the artichokes for about 30 minutes so you can handle easily. Remove all of the leaves exposing the fuzzy choke. Scoop the choke out and discard. Chop the artichoke heart and add to the butter mixture before spreading on the board.
Final steps! Wash your board with hot water and soap or line with parchment paper.
- Spread the soft butter mixture on to the board making big swirls.
- Grate some additional lemon zest on and the remaining roasted garlic.
- Serve the artichoke leaves on the side for dipping!
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Artichoke Butter Board
- 2 Ocean Mist Farms Fresh Artichokes
- 1 whole garlic head
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup good quality butter - softened
- 2 cups fresh spinach - wilted, cooled and squeeze dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit. Wash a decorative cutting board with hot water and soap or line with parchment paper.
- Trim 1/2 inch off top of artichoke along with bottom stem. Using scissors trim the pointy tips of the artichoke. Using your fingers loosen the artichoke leaves to open them up. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil.
- Trim 1/4 inch off of the end of the garlic head. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil.
- Bake artichokes and garlic for one hour. (The artichokes are done when a knife inserted into the bottom of the artichoke goes in smoothly. Similar to baked potato) Remove from oven and let cool about 20 minutes or until easy to handle. Remove all the leaves until the heart of the artichoke is exposed. Remove the fuzzy part. Chop the heart into small pieces.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add spinach. Cook quickly for about 1-2 minutes until wilted but still vivid green. Remove and cool. Place on paper towel and squeeze excess liquid out.
- Combine softened butter, wilted spinach, half of the bulb of roasted garlic. 1 teapsoon of lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt and chopped artichoke heart.
- Spread on to a clean cutting board using big swirls. Top with additional lemon zest and remaining roasted garlic. Serve with artichoke leaves on the side for dipping!