Everyone needs a perfect every time Chicken and Rice dish! And this one is just SO good! It is a REAL one pan meal.
So what’s for dinner? Baked Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice it is!
This is one of my absolute favorite meals. Like…since I was a kid. My mom (Mrs. Laughing Spatula…Elder Spatula…The Fabulous Kathi Spatula…The patriarch of this very site!) has been making this my entire life and why this Baked Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice isn’t already on our site is beyond me
What kind of cooking vessel do you use for this Baked Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice Casserole?
- I use THIS cast iron pan from Lodge- It’s only $14.00 on Amazon- and if you don’t have one, BUY ONE. It is a total kitchen staple and everybody needs one. I use it stove top and for baking savory dishes in the oven like this chicken and rice dish!
- You can also use a glass baking dish or casserole dish.
How do I make this chicken and rice with honey mustard sauce?
So if you blink you are gonna miss this…it’s that easy.
The only thing that’s missing as far as ingredients and the above picture goes is the chicken. This is it, people! You’re SO close to having a delicious, one pan family meal. I use whole grain mustard because I like the grains- but you can use dijon if you’d rather, no big.
Mix up your honey mustard broth mixture, pour it over your rice, THEN add your chicken breasts on top. P.S. Can we talk about that glorious glob of honey? I am a bit of a honey fiend. I love the stuff.
Pour your broth, stir, and then place chicken breasts on top.
Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on your chicken, cover with foil, and bake for 35 minutes. While this is baking, mix up some additional honey mustard mixture (mustard + honey + salt + pepper), slather it on top of your chicken, remove foil, and bake again for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and your chicken reaches 165 degrees internally.
Almost there! See how that sticky honey mustard mixture sticks to our chicken? That is some special kind of deliciousness.
…And that my friends- is how you do baked honey mustard chicken and rice. 🙂 This recipe tastes like home to me, and I love it! I’m going to go hug my mommy now. I
Did you make this recipe? Upload a pic to instagram and tag us with either @laughingspatula or #laughingspatula. Nothing would make me happier than to know you’re enjoying this one pan meal as much as I do!
A few other super easy recipes you might love!
- Pesto Mozzarella and Tomato stuffed chicken!
- Roasted Lemon Chicken with Potatoes and Rosemary.
- Baked Honey Garlic chicken
Other tips for this one pot Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice dinner:
- If you don’t have whole grain mustard, use regular dijon! You probably could use yellow mustard if you’re in a pinch as well, but be warned- it will be bright.
- For brown rice lovers: increase liquid by 1/4 cup and after 25-30 minutes, when chicken is cooked through, remove it and continue to cook rice another 15 minutes until soft.
- If you don’t have powdered garlic, try regular garlic! Mince it well so it disperses throughout the rice.
- To make this successfully, don’t skip the ceremonial lifting of the chicken breast (lol) when you pull it out of the oven the first time. It’s important the liquid gets around to all of the rice so it cooks evenly.
Check out this video to help make your Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice foolproof!
A delicious one pan meal that comes together in a pinch! Simple ingredients all combined in one pan and in the oven it goes!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp whole grain dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 teaspoons powdered garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp whole grain dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray shallow baking dish (9x9) or cast iron pan with non stick spray.
In a large bowl or 2 cup measuring cup, combine chicken broth, honey, mustard, and powdered garlic. Mix well, ensuring honey is combined into mixture and is not sticking to bottom.
Pour white rice into prepared pan or cast iron pan.
Pour broth mixture over rice and stir.
Place chicken breasts on top of rice and broth mixture. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Cover with foil, and bake for 35 minutes.
Remove from oven, remove foil, and lift chicken breasts and stir the rice around a bit, ensuring liquid is dispersed throughout pan.
Coat chicken breasts with additional honey mustard slather mixture.
Place pan (without foil) back in oven to bake for 10-15 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Slice chicken and serve!
Other tips for this Baked Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice:
- If you don't have whole grain mustard, use regular dijon! You probably could use yellow mustard if you're in a pinch as well, but be warned- it will be bright.
- Check out my tips above if you're using a cast iron pan. They take a bit of extra work but they're so worth it in my opinion!
- I have not tried brown rice with this, but it does take longer to cook. If you are hell bent on using brown rice, add in another 1/4 cup of chicken broth to your broth mixture.
- If you don't have powdered garlic, try regular garlic! It would be delish. Just mince it well so it disperses throughout the rice.
- To make this successfully, don't skip the ceremonial lifting of the chicken breast (lol) when you pull it out of the oven the first time. It's important the liquid gets around to all of the rice so it cooks evenly.