Everybody loves banana bread, but have you ever had banana cookies? The same flavor as banana bread, but with a perfectly tender inside, crispy exterior cookie. These Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies will be your new favorite way to use up those overripe bananas!
Ripe Banana Recipe
The best type of banana to use in this banana cookie recipe is an overripe banana– a yellow banana with a sprinkling of brown spots all over it (as seen in the background on the picture above) is perfect.
Banana Cookie Ingredients
These cookies use a traditional cookie base, with the addition of mashed bananas, and a little bit of cornstarch. The cornstarch really helps thick the cookies as the bananas are very moisture heavy. The result? A perfectly tender, banana infused cookie with a crispy exterior, and melty chocolate chips. *chef’s kiss* perfection.
How to Make Banana Cookies
- Mash the banana with a fork to ensure it is smooth, then mix in the remaining wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Gently combine the wet and dry mixtures to form a dough, and once mixed, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop mounds of cookie dough onto a cookie sheet (lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick), and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes, or until the cookie is golden brown and cooked all the way through, and enjoy!
More Ways to Use Ripe Bananas
We love ways to use up food, and ripe bananas are the perfect medium for baking. They make everything moist, flavorful and delicious! Here’s a few other ways we like to use those ripe bananas.
- Bananas Foster Upside Down Cake
- Banana Bread with Streusel Topping
- Banana Bars with Brown Butter Frosting
- Classic Banana Bread
Let’s Eat! – Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we might receive a very small commission, at no additional cost to you, should you chose to purchase that linked item. We only link to items I know and trust. Clink!
Banana Cookies with Chocolate Chips
Wet Ingredient Group
- 1.5 bananas (ripe to overripe)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup melted butter (if using salted omit adding salt)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
Dry Ingredient Group
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 cup chocolate chips (1 cup in batter, remaining 1/2 cup to top cookies with)
- In a small mixing bowl, mash ripe bananas with a fork. Once mashed, add remaining 'wet ingredients' and stir with a whisk until fully combined. *ensure butter is at least cooled to room temperature before combining.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, combine 'dry ingredients' (except chocolate chips) and whisk until combined. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips to cookie dough and mix until fully combined.
- Scoop cookies* onto a foil lined pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Using remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on each cookie top.Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour, and a maximum of 8 hours. (we recommend about a 2 tbsp scoop of cookie dough)
- When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap, and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown and cooked through.