This Cheese Potato Casserole is a fabulous side dish for any event! From BBQ’s, to Thanksgiving, this is a seriously tasty dish that will surely call for seconds!
Cheesy, creamy and CRUNCHY Potato Casserole! Check out that crunch guys…and the cheese! And did I mention you can MAKE THIS AHEAD! Super perfect holiday recipe- we love this Cheesy Potato Casserole!
Full disclosure, I used frozen hash brown potatoes. I know! Stop rolling your eyes at me, ok? Hard to believe it myself, being such a scratch kinda cook, but what a pleasant little surprise they were. And what a time saver! (I did made my own sauce though, no cans of cream of ka ka in this beauty, so that makes it kinda okay and kinda healthy right?)
The creamy sauce is simply milk + flour and poured right over the potatoes in the same skillet. Bubbles right up, add some cheese and sour cream, pour into pretty casserole. Top with cornflake and butter mixture and you are the queen of casseroles!
This will be the casserole that everyone asks you to bring over and over again, and you won’t mind because it is so simple to make and just so pretty!
You could change this up a hundred different ways:
- Add one and half cups sliced mushrooms
- Add one chopped Poblano or Anaheim pepper
- Change up the cheese to include some feta and/or parmesan for even more cheesy punch
- Add herbs to the cornflakes
Thats just a few, I’m sure you could come up with something to make this casserole your own…or just stick with it the way it is…you will get no complaints!
And while you are at it, you can make up a quadruple batch of my Make Ahead Mushroom Gravy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 ounce bag frozenSouthern Style hash brown potatoes 32
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 2/3 cup milk not non fat - I used 2% but 1% will work
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup light sour cream 2% plain greek yogurt will work as well
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (omit if making ahead).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oi, onion and bell pepper. Saute 5 minutes. Add frozen potatoes, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes or until potatoes start to brown. Stir in Salt and black pepper.
- Combine milk and flour with a whisk. Add to potato mixture in pan and cook for about 3 minutes until sauce is thick and bubbling.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in sour cream and cheese. Spoon mixture into a 11 x 7 casserole dish.
- In medium bowl, combine corn flakes and butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until bubbly around edges and topping is crisp.
- (If making ahead: Refridgerate potato mixture for up to 2 days. Add topping before baking)
Adapted from Cooking Light