Chicken and Olives – a simple but elegant Mediterranean Chicken dish that takes under 30 minutes to make! Seared chicken breasts in a lemony sauce enhanced with a bit of the brine from the olives makes this easy one pan dish a stand out!
This beautiful and healthy chicken dinner is perfect for weeknight and elegant enough for company. Simple and fresh ingredients with a bit of a salty kick from olive brine make this 30 minute one pan meal a regular at our home.
What kind of olives do I use in this dish?
- We used a blend of pitted kalamata and manzanilla olives. You can find these in the pickle section of most every grocery store. Of course you can head to your fancy olive bar section, but make sure you get a bit of brine with your olives as you’ll need a few tablespoons for the sauce.
- NOTE: We used the brine of the manzanilla olives in this dish as the kalamata olive brine is dark and just not very pretty. Tasty but not attractive :).
How to make Chicken and Olives –
We start by seasoning the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and dried or fresh thyme. We use the thyme on only one side of the chicken so it does not over power the dish. A quick sear then remove the chicken to a plate.
Now the super fast sauce! Chicken stock, lemon juice, olive brine and toss in the olives.
Simmer and reduce by half. Add the chicken back to the pan to finish cooking.
What do I serve with this chicken dish?
How to use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts:
- For bone in thighs: sear with skin on or off. 5 minutes on each side. Remove to plate. Follow directionsto make sauce and add back to pan. Simmer about 20 minutes in olive sauce until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
- For boneless thighs: sear with skin on or off. 3-5 minutes on each side Remove to plate. Follow directions to make sauce and add back to pan. Simmer about 10 minutes in olive sauce until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
A few more easy chicken recipes we think you will love:
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Chicken in Tomato Sauce
- Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken
Kathi and Rachel
Chicken and Olives
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup sliced onion
- 3 cloves garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup Manzanilla olives : in brine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive brine ; reserved from Manzanilla olives
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley ; chopped for garnish if desired
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Season one side of chicken with thyme.
- Heat large skillet with olive oil on medium high heat. Sear chicken on both sides for 3-5 minutes until a nice crust forms. Remove to a plate. (Your chicken will not be cooked all the way though. It will continue to cook in the sauce).
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to pan. Saute until slightly brown. Add garlic, cook for a minute until fragrant. Add olives and cook for another minute.
- Add chicken stock, lemon juice and reserved olive brine. Simmer until reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes. Add butter, stir until melted. Taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Add chicken back to pan. Cover and continue to cook another 5-7 minutes until chicken is done and meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired.