If there is one staple meal from years gone by, it is Hamburger Helper. Didn’t we all enjoy a good bowl of it after soccer in the 90’s? I did! Minus the soccer, I was more of a ‘stay home and watch Boy Meets World’ kind of girl. This homemade version of Hamburger Helper is a one pot wonder. Ground meat, macaroni, and a homemade tangy cheese sauce make for a better than boxed version you can’t stop picking at!
This recipe only requires one pan, and it’s super simple to make. You can use ground beef, chicken, or turkey.
To start, brown your ground meat in a large skillet. I used beef, but you can use your choice of beef, chicken or turkey. Once it’s browned, drain the grease. Return the meat to the pan, and we’ll add in a few spices.
How to make Homemade Hamburger Helper:
Add these spices to ground beef after browning:
- Dijon Mustard
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Red Chili Flakes: Optional, if you like a kick of heat.
Give the meat a good stir to incorporate the spices, and the next step is to add the macaroni, and the beef broth (or chicken, vegetable broth if you prefer). It will feel unnatural to add broth to ground meat that you just browned- but this recipe works, I assure you! Cover the pot with a lid, and boil for about 12 minutes on medium until the liquid is absorbed, and the macaroni is fully cooked.
Once the noodles are fully cooked, remove from heat, and add sour cream while the pan is still warm. I used regular sour cream, but if you are trying to lighten this dish up, you could very well use 1/2 greek yogurt, and 1/2 sour cream (I have tried this and it works great without compromising flavor). Stir well to combine.
Once the sour cream is fully mixed through, add in grated cheese. Stir, and then you’re just about ready to serve this beefy, delicious dinner!
Pro Tip: I find the best shredded cheese is hand shredded from a block. The pre shredded bagged kind does not melt as well due to anti caking additives. You can read more about it here.
My favorite part of this beef noodle skillet is how easy it is, but also how satisfying it is.
If you’re looking for other one pot meals we love, here’s a few more ideas.
Let us know what you think of this dish- I hope you love it as much as we did! – Kathi and Rachel
Homemade Hamburger Helper
- 1 lb ground meat (we used beef but you can use chicken or turkey as well)
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (optional, if you like added heat)
- 1/2 tsp salt (add more to taste if needed once recipe is fully cooked)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dry macaroni
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth (or chicken, or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese (we used colby jack)
- In a large skillet, add ground meat and cook until brown, breaking apart meat as you cook. Drain grease and return meat to pan.
- Add ketchup, dijon, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to ground meat. Stir to combine. Add broth, and dry macaroni to skillet. Bring to boil, and allow to simmer for about 12 minutes, or until macaroni is fully cooked.
- Once macaroni is fully cooked, remove pan from heat and stir in sour cream, followed by shredded cheese. Serve, and enjoy!